Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica Mini M
Quote:Although the new M brought many surprises, I believe Leica is still conservative compared to other mirrorless brands. My bet is on a "mini" with a FF sensor and rangefinder mechanism removed. That's quite an innovation for Leica! Smile ...

But still, I cannot stop thinking of an APS-C body with EVF (rangefinder removed) + AF + a new cropped lens family... Could steal a lot of (potential) FujiFilm customers...

Serkan
With Leica prices you can never steal customers Wink
Quote:With Leica prices you can never steal customers Wink

Fair point Smile ...
Leicarumors has some new information. It seems the Mini M will be a X-type camera (APS-C) with a (fixed) zoom lens.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Leicarumors has some new information. It seems the Mini M will be a X-type camera (APS-C) with a (fixed) zoom lens.

-- Markus

Then that would not make it a camera placed inbetween the M and the X2, but only a new compact next to the X2...

I will call them as follows:

Leica M

Meeny

Miny

Moe Big Grin ...

Serkan
The specs have hit rumour sites. In short: APS-C fixed zoom lens 18-46mm f/3.5-6.4. Anyone interested?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Great to know that the naming scheme isn't so silly: The new camera is called Leica X Vario.

Sillier are the price ( £2150, €2450, $2,850), and the silly lens specs: Leica Vario Elmar 18-46 mm f/3.5-6.4 ASPH, no image stabilization. What is the point for making the sensor APS-C size, when you put a fixed lens as lame as that on it.

Maybe Leica wanted to make the Canon G1 X look really amazing?

Actually I quite like it.

To be honest I never quite understood why the manufacturers mostly supply high end digicams with prime lenses.

As you know the Canon G1X (and Sony RX100) has a smaller sensor so the lens can be smaller as well.

Compared to the Canon, the Leica isn't even much heavier - just deeper.

However, yes, the Leica will have a tough time to compete against something like the Fuji X-E1 w/18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS.

Quote:Actually I quite like it.

To be honest I never quite understood why the manufacturers mostly supply high end digicams with prime lenses.

As you know the Canon G1X (and Sony RX100) has a smaller sensor so the lens can be smaller as well.

Compared to the Canon, the Leica isn't even much heavier - just deeper.
The Canon has a 1.85x crop sensor, the Leica a 1.5x one.

To put it in FF equivalency terms then:

The Leica has a 27-69mm f5.25-9.6 lens (FF equivalent).

The Canon has a 15.1-60.4mm f/2.8-5 lens, so a 27.9-111.7mm f5.18-9.25 FF equivalent.

As you know, the Canon sensor is not that small at all, and its lens specs are more than equivalent to the Leica (see above).

Same goes for the Sony RX100. Is has a sensor that is smaller: 2.7x crop factor. Its lens: 10.4-37.1mm f1.8-4.9. Equivalent to: 28-100mm f4.86-13.2

The "lens can be smaller as well" argument does not fly, and anyway it does not make that 2000+ €/$ camera with fixed small aperture zoom lens without IS any more attractive...

Like I said above, it seems like Leica wants to make the G1 X look amazing... It has the better lens specs, swivel screen and better functionality, for a price that is 4x lower  :o

Quote:However, yes, the Leica will have a tough time to compete against something like the Fuji X-E1 w/18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS.
Quote:The Canon has a 1.85x crop sensor, the Leica a 1.5x one.

To put it in FF equivalency terms then:

The Leica has a 27-69mm f5.25-9.6 lens (FF equivalent).

The Canon has a 15.1-60.4mm f/2.8-5 lens, so a 27.9-111.7mm f5.18-9.25 FF equivalent.

As you know, the Canon sensor is not that small at all, and its lens specs are more than equivalent to the Leica (see above).

Same goes for the Sony RX100. Is has a sensor that is smaller: 2.7x crop factor. Its lens: 10.4-37.1mm f1.8-4.9. Equivalent to: 28-100mm f4.86-13.2

The "lens can be smaller as well" argument does not fly, and anyway it does not make that 2000+ €/$ camera with fixed small aperture zoom lens without IS any more attractive...

Like I said above, it seems like Leica wants to make the G1 X look amazing... It has the better lens specs, swivel screen and better functionality, for a price that is 4x lower  :o

Both the Sony and the Canon have retractable lenses, don't they ? As such a fair size comparison should be done in working mode.

Anyway, the target audience of this camera will not consider something else anyway (other than a Leica M).