Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony rumor
Maybe the on sensor AF will be so much better that no mirror is needed anymore. Anyway, this is a rumour for 2014, so who knows? I like Sony's approach of new technology whiteout retro design in a small body very much. Actually only there QA bothers me.

Quote:Maybe the on sensor AF will be so much better that no mirror is needed anymore. Anyway, this is a rumour for 2014, so who knows? I like Sony's approach of new technology whiteout retro design in a small body very much. Actually only there QA bothers me.
Without a mirror, how is any AF sensor going to get any image to focus on? You either have an AF sensor and a way to divert the optical path to it, or you let the AF sensing be handled by the imaging sensor...
Quote:Without a mirror, how is any AF sensor going to get any image to focus on? You either have an AF sensor and a way to divert the optical path to it, or you let the AF sensing be handled by the imaging sensor...
The AF sensors are on the imaging sensor to replace some pixels.
Quote:The AF sensors are on the imaging sensor to replace some pixels.

That then is not an AF sensor but the imaging sensor taking care of AF. Slowly (compared to a dedicated AF sensor). I don't understand how Sony will want to compete against the DSLRs from Canon and Nikon with that...
Quote:That then is not an AF sensor but the imaging sensor taking care of AF. Slowly (compared to a dedicated AF sensor). I don't understand how Sony will want to compete against the DSLRs from Canon and Nikon with that...
It is not like contrast AF. There are some Phase Detect pixels are placed on the image sensor that work similar to the dedicated PD sensors. They are already in Nex5R, Nex6, Nikon 1, Fuji X100s. From some internet sources, they are not on par with the dedicated PDAF. I guess that if Sony decided to use it instead of SLT, they must have some improvements from the last generation.
What makes me wonder about this rumour is the way Sony (possibly) will change the market approach in the near future. Yes they're powerful to do such changes, but I don't believe customers' concerns can be managed only with "power".

So something in between (as Markus & Popo already mentioned), a new mirrorless FF body with SLT like ergonomics. Such an innovative product which would make the Sony customers forget their concerns... That could be:

• an A-mount system with a new AF technology (using the image sensor). So a mirrorless DSLR (???) --> obviously the naming would not be easy... "DSL" maybe without the "R" Big Grin ...

• an E-mount system with the existing CDAF (if only the technical issues for FF are solved). A-lenses can be used with the mirror adapter and voila, you have your SLT system back (if you still want it).
Now, if we consider the above mentioned alternatives: they both have their issues (mirrorless but bigger & register distance for FF)... What about a completely new mirrorless system? If I could be as speculative as I could be; a new mount with a different register distance (something between A and E), is Sony that much "powerful"? Rolleyes

Serkan

I don't see the point in a mirroless A-mount only body. Pentax tried similar and it didn't go anywhere either. You don't really get a useful benefit from it.

Sony concentrating on E-mount makes sense to me, adapting to enable use of legacy A-mount equipment which will gradually die off. Of course we have the ongoing argument if E-mount can fully support FF, but I think it can be made to work if they wanted to. Bringing yet another new mount to the market is a step too far, unless they want to play in Leica territory.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I predict they will release a FF NEX which will accept A-mount lenses via adapter. It will also accept E-mount lenses, but it will fall back to APS-C mode.

A99 already has on sensor PDAF, but if Sony completely ditches SLT, that would mean they have improved on sensor PDAF technology. If Nex-6 is not on par with DSLR in AF tracking,  it doesn't follow  that future version of that technology will be stagnated at Nex-6 level forever!

This would not be same as K01 which uses very crappy and slow Contrast AF. 

Sony is NOT quitting A-mount. anytime soon. They recently released 500mm F4,  new version of 300mm F2.8, revised 70-400mm. They are releasing new version of 70-200mm.  They are releasing Zeiss 50mm F1.4 next month in July. There is no way they are spending millions on these new lenses while ditching A-mount simultaneously at the same time. 

That doesn't even make sense. 

My bet is that they are certain that they can match SLT AF with on sensor PDAF next year ...

The Problem with sensor PDAF is primarily at low light (or high ISO noise if you wish).