Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony rumor
I wonder if the sony 500mm lens is seeing much in the way of sales...

Quote:The Problem with sensor PDAF is primarily at low light (or high ISO noise if you wish).

And SLT loses 1/2 stop of light anyway.  Plus we don't know what kind of on sensor AF is coming in future. All we know for sure is that A-mount is not going anywhere, as  Sony is still releasing A-mount lenses, including Zeiss 50mm next month. 

Quote:The Problem with sensor PDAF is primarily at low light (or high ISO noise if you wish).

Are the sensors used for PDAF less noisy than the ones used to capture the image? Larger pixels in the former? Or what is the problem?

Noticed that before - many PD mirror less switch to contrast AF in low light :o
enjoy
Quote:Are the sensors used for PDAF less noisy than the ones used to capture the image? Larger pixels in the former? Or what is the problem?

Noticed that before - many PD mirror less switch to contrast AF in low light :o

Interesting point. Would make sense that there is a sensitivity issue. All the PDAF-on-sensors I have seen are single pixels. If the signal to noise ration becomes too low, it won't work reliably anymore. In contrast detect, the camera can analyse a bigger area, and thereby also some of the noise can be averaged out. On the other hand, it should be possible to sample the single PD pixels multiple times and average out the noise as well. I don't know if there is a technical obstacle to the latter concept.

How big are the regular PD sensors? They are linear sensors, and look fairly big in these images (compared to the wires that lead the signal off the chip).

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/photo...ained.aspx

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7...NSOR-L.JPG
Klaus, you stated:"An APS-C mirrorless camera based on the A-mount ... now I struggle to

see the logic vs NEX. Two mirrorless mounts sound bizarre to me."

e-mount is designed for full frame already. See NEX-VG900E. Following lenses already work in full frame also:
Sony E 24 mm F1.8

Sony E 30 mm 3.5 Macro

Sony E 18-200 mm 3.5-6.3

Sony E 35 mm 1.8 OSS

Sony E 18-200 mm 3.5-6.3 OSS

Sony E 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 OSS

Sony E 16 mm 2.8

I do not see reason to discuss about "SONY NEX going full frame" - it is already there....

Cheers

Digging around a bit, I think we're using the terms in different contexts. Most people on this site are significantly still photographers. Full frame under this definition is 36x24mm. In a quick search, I see that video full frame is a width of 24mm, which is close enough to the existing NEX sensor size.

No current NEX camera or lens would meet the photographic full frame size. This is what many are looking for.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
SONY NEX-VG900E owns a 35mm full frame sensor size of 35.8 x 23.9 mm - what a silly statement from popo

BTW:

23.5 x 15.6 Sony NEX

23.7 x 15.7 DX

22.2 x 14.8 APS-C

17.3 x 13.0 Four-Thirds

35.8 x 23.9 Canon 5D

35.8 x 23.9 NEX-VG900E

cheers

Doh! Fair enough, I failed to notice that NEX video camera before and it certainly does have a full frame sensor. However once again back in the photographic realm, I've yet to see how existing NEX lenses would perform on full frame output. Since you appear already familiar with such, can you suggest places that have samples?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
No popo, I have no samples. That is not the point to me. What I see in this discussion from the (silly) beginning ongoing all statements are nothing but ideas sucked out of thumb. ALL known facts were ignored.

Not to forget that a NEX system camera is pretty new compared to micro4/3. The new excellent sensors of the OM-D are delivered by SONY. We can expect lots of amazing stuff from SONY - hopefully even a full frame NEX. It will be a step nearer to LEICA M (even nothing compares to a rangefinder camera!). I know: Even this is sucked out of my thumb...

Just one statement more: IT is NOT the sensor that is "a beast". Developers have to learn how to make excellent lenses for this register. The test of the Sigma 60mm gives hope, the new Zeiss "touit" possibly are ahead already, we'll see.