Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
welcome some ...
Quote:Imagine a FF lens with that performance (esp. on the corners), wouldn't that be "truely awesome" ?... Smile

Besides, I was trying to mention the fact that manufacturing a (fast) lens with a larger image circle is more challenging than a cropped lens with the same performance (bigger glasses, less tolerance in production etc...). But of course from another perspective, this is the MFT's strength (as we see it from the chart). An awesome lens with a reasonable price, exceptional MTF50 performance and a very usable DOF controll...

Serkan

Serkan, Sorry i mis-spelled your name earlier...

I thought that M43 lenses have to be better than FF lenses because 16 megapixel M43 sensor is harsher on the lenses than today's FF sensors. May be my concept is not in place (it generally isn't)...but the way we compare D7000 to D800...when we test a lens on D7000, we say that it will perform similarly on a D800 because both cameras are similarly pixel dense. Going by that, the lens performance on a 16 mp M43 sensor should equate with a 64mp FF sensor...so if a lens is great for 16mp M43 camera, it should be great for a 64 mp FF camera as well, theoretically speaking. Can you clarify this for me...?

anurag
Quote:Serkan, Sorry i mis-spelled your name earlier...

I thought that M43 lenses have to be better than FF lenses because 16 megapixel M43 sensor is harsher on the lenses than today's FF sensors. May be my concept is not in place (it generally isn't)...but the way we compare D7000 to D800...when we test a lens on D7000, we say that it will perform similarly on a D800 because both cameras are similarly pixel dense. Going by that, the lens performance on a 16 mp M43 sensor should equate with a 64mp FF sensor...so if a lens is great for 16mp M43 camera, it should be great for a 64 mp FF camera as well, theoretically speaking. Can you clarify this for me...?

anurag
Well, probably a perfect answer of your question is beyond my technical knowledge... Nevertheless I will use this opportunity to test it Smile ...

Regarding the D7000 vs. D800 comparison, I don't think one can easily say a specific lens would perform similar on both just because the pixel sizes are almost the same. D7000 would only show the smaller part of the image circle (assuming that it's a FF lens), and a reasonable amount of light will not be hitting the sensor area for further data evaluations. It is also not easy to say that the resolution in the middle of the image would be the same because one should ask how big is the print we're viewing from the same distance to compare both outputs.

16mp MFT vs. 64mp FF: How could a specific lens (e.g. this very nice Zuiko 75mm) show the same performance on a 64mp FF sensor? Image circle is 2x cropped and the register distance is quite different from any known FF mounts. A hypothetical Zuiko 150mm f/3.6 with FX mount for instance, would have different optics and size. And when it comes to bigger glasses, a higher precision in manufacturing should be expected for the FX lens.

Serkan
Quote:What really matters is a proper interpretation of the results. Here is what DxOMark has to say about the 75mm M.Zuiko:

"Money aside however this lens delivers good results for a Micro Four Thirds lens in all DxOMark Lens Metric Scores and with a Sharpness Score of 11P-Mpix it’s the sharpest lens available for this system."

and:

"That said if you’re after the best possible results and sharpness Micro Four Thirds has to offer and you’re prepared to pay for it the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm f/1.8 is the lens to buy."

In all likelihood Klaus conclusions will be in good agreement with those offered by DxOMark once he has completed his tests. I´m still misssing a test of the 20mm f/1.7 Pana on a 16MP cam though.
My point is that the 70% acutance in DxO is good but it is not on par with the PZ result. I expect the DxO result must be 80% or better.
I thught one of the FF lenses short tele had resolution like that; one of the 150-200f2 lenses (olympus (om not 4/3), canon, nikon?).  Can't remember been a while but it was a very nice lens Smile

Quote:Imagine a FF lens with that performance (esp. on the corners), wouldn't that be "truely awesome" ?... Smile

Besides, I was trying to mention the fact that manufacturing a (fast) lens with a larger image circle is more challenging than a cropped lens with the same performance (bigger glasses, less tolerance in production etc...). But of course from another perspective, this is the MFT's strength (as we see it from the chart). An awesome lens with a reasonable price, exceptional MTF50 performance and a very usable DOF controll...

Serkan