Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 - designer perspective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...mEj6CqZWMk

Quite cool.

Hi Klaus,

Did you get the "slight" impression that this lens is better conceived optically than the Pentax DA 560mm 5.6?  FOFL.  

A beast! and half the price!  I hope you see the funny side it !

Hmm... a 3rd 55mm lens to my collection in future, when I get a FF camera? (after a lot of saving of course)

It reminded me though, of this:"The lens maintains exceptional resolving power and contrast at all apertures, and utilizes a rear-focus system to focus smoothly, quietly and effectively."

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Sony Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM.

Certainly an interesting lens, although thankfully I don't need or want another manual focus Zeiss 50(ish)!

And why 55mm anyway? I do note that 55mm was perhaps more popular in the past than it is now.

I'm perhaps a bit confused, how does this fit in with the other

announcement not long ago they were looking at a new 135mm f/2 too? I

have a vague recollection it was suspected they repackaged a medium

format lens for use on full frame to get better corner performance.

Edit: to answer myself, it looks like the 135mm f/2 APO is about ready for purchase. Hopefully the APO designation is not use lightly by Zeiss unlike other lower cost manufacturers, in which case that would be a serious contender to replace the 135L for me. Haven't found any free detailed (p)reviews yet.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Certainly an interesting lens, although thankfully I don't need or want another manual focus Zeiss 50(ish)!

And why 55mm anyway? I do note that 55mm was perhaps more popular in the past than it is now.

I'm perhaps a bit confused, how does this fit in with the other

announcement not long ago they were looking at a new 135mm f/2 too? I

have a vague recollection it was suspected they repackaged a medium

format lens for use on full frame to get better corner performance.

Edit: to answer myself, it looks like the 135mm f/2 APO is about ready for purchase. Hopefully the APO designation is not use lightly by Zeiss unlike other lower cost manufacturers, in which case that would be a serious contender to replace the 135L for me. Haven't found any free detailed (p)reviews yet.
The Zeiss 135mm f2 is already out in the wild, but low production numbers will mean that first the pre-orders will be filled.

The lens still shows some LoCA at f2 and f2.5/8, but quite a bit lower than for instance the 135mm L you mention.

As for a "preview":

http://zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=950
Having checked out the price of the Zeiss 135... I don't think I'm in any danger of getting one soon Big Grin Especially as for the amount I use it... it isn't a priority. Shall have to make do with the Canon...

Still, it is always nice to see someone trying to push the limits of what's possible, although that may more apply to the 55.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
....well unfortunately this post came in just 2 hours after i left for town, at which time i bought someone else's very nice 35/1.4....then i arrived home to find something possibly better right here at Pz....oh well, it's only money -

....and if this lens is too sharp you can always put a 'Zeiss Softar (656-2) Effect Glass Filter' on the front for that special Bc look ;-) 

Quote:....well unfortunately this post came in just 2 hours after i left for town, at which time i bought someone else's very nice 35/1.4....then i arrived home to find something possibly better right here at Pz....oh well, it's only money -

....and if this lens is too sharp you can always put a 'Zeiss Softar (656-2) Effect Glass Filter' on the front for that special Bc look ;-) 

Well, it's a bit hard to legitimate this amount of money for a 55mm f/1.4. The upcoming ZA 50/1.4 is a 1/3 of that price and that one is already rather overpriced.

Quote:Well, it's a bit hard to legitimate this amount of money for a 55mm f/1.4. The upcoming ZA 50/1.4 is a 1/3 of that price and that one is already rather overpriced.
....but the Zeiss softie filter is cheap...well, while it's on sale at B&H anyhow

....and if anyone here can stand the suspense and excitement of me offering yet another lens for a test here down under (so far untested here on canon i think....and also not so cheap), i'd be very happy to post my shiny new Sig 35/1.4 all the way down to Gordon for a test

....if you dare take that chance again that is  ;-)  .... just let me know....if i don't hear i'll understand....

....oh, have i hijacked a Zeiss topic now Rolleyes ....pardon me