Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Canon stuff
EOS 100D aka Rebel SL1 (small, but still twice the EOS M actually)

EOS 700D aka Rebel T5i

and a new kit lens:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...5_6_is_stm

Pretty impressive MTFs here actually - superior to the 17-55 IS and 15-85 IS ... according to Canon.

Well, no surprise - it's quite a bit less ambitious.

One UD element is a pretty novel thing for a 18-55 lens, I believe.

Of course the 55-250 also has one, but it's a magnitude less common lens.

The 100D looks nice, tiny DSLR with all the DSLR goodness (PD AF, OVF).

The 700D is more a firmware update of the 650D, with different plastics. The 650D was a nice enough camera, but this update seems not too much an update.

The new 18-55mm STM looks impressive for a kitlens. Finally IF, so no rotating front element anymore. Quite a price hike too, $249.

Rover, the old one had one UD element at exactly the same position already.

Old 18-55mm IS:

[Image: lens-construction.png]

New 18-55mm IS STM:

[Image: lens-construction.png]

It went from a 11 elements, 9 groups design to a 13 elements, 11 groups design.

The marked element (second to rear) is aspherical, not UD (非球面 = aspherical; in Chinese/Japanese 非 = non-, 球 = ball, 面 = surface).

Odd that while cross-checking I've only found the information about UD element in the original post by Fred Miranda ("One UD lens and one high-precision aspheric lens") but not in the DPReview announcement. Could it have been something that appeared along the way in translation?

P.S. You're spot on about the 700D being more like a firmware update to the 650D. The only difference I found was the larger PDAF zone on sensor. It's embarrassing that such a camera is being sold as a new product; 30D was much more of an upgrade to 20D, and it was considered tame at the time.

Quote:The marked element (second to rear) is aspherical, not UD (非球面 = aspherical; in Chinese/Japanese 非 = non-, 球 = ball, 面 = surface).

Odd that while cross-checking I've only found the information about UD element in the original post by Fred Miranda ("One UD lens and one high-precision aspheric lens") but not in the DPReview announcement. Could it have been something that appeared along the way in translation?

P.S. You're spot on about the 700D being more like a firmware update to the 650D. The only difference I found was the larger PDAF zone on sensor. It's embarrassing that such a camera is being sold as a new product; 30D was much more of an upgrade to 20D, and it was considered tame at the time.
Ah, thanks for the translation Big Grin

In the lens diagrams Canon uses purple for UD (and sometimes they seem to mess up)...

Not sure on the 30D being a bigger upgrade though... What was different besides the bigger LCD? Wink
Quote:Ah, thanks for the translation Big Grin

In the lens diagrams Canon uses purple for UD (and sometimes they seem to mess up)...

Not sure on the 30D being a bigger upgrade though... What was different besides the bigger LCD? Wink
Isn't the bigger LCD already enough? That's why I got the 1D Mark II N, not the original 1D Mark II...

But anyways, the 30D had Spot metering, could set ISO in 1/3 stop increments, had Picture Styles (not sure anybody would care)... and of course the mighty Direct Print button!  B)

UPD: Per DPReview, the other goodies included:

- Selectable continuous shooting speed;

- RGB Histogram;

- Larger buffer;

- ISO in viewfinder when changing;

- Record review magnify;

And some other stuff, most of which was also something that could've been done with a firmware update. I should've remembered it, since I owned a 30D for a couple of years (and used a 20D intermittently).

Hi guys,

you know I'll rain on Canon's parade again... I'll spit, you've been warned ;-).

By itself, the 100D is kinda cool....

But then, ... it kinda sends a weird message to the EOS M folks in my opinion. I like to imagine that Canon top executive have put two design teams to compete against each other, as an incentive to boost productivity in these darker times !

So,

-They have spend ressources making a 43rd edition of the 18-55 lens (looks good on MTF, though) that is actually a tad longer than the old one. Lenses that people mostly don't buy separate, so it's really making this other one for a "video line" weirdly competing with their EOS M ? OK, other bodies will be bundled with that lens.

-They have spend ressources making a mk II hybrid sensor of a sensor basis I guess is the good old and aging 18mp sensor.

-They go for a mirror box, dog slow continuous, ...

-and last but not least it is expensive at £799/799$- we'll see street prices. Still, launch price puts everything into perspective. If it was cheaper... but any next gen MFT (think *cheap* panasonic follow up to the *cheap* G5?), Fuji or SONY (still a bit expensive though), with hybrid AF will probably compare very well.

Ok, enough bashing, I guess I just can't see why Canon still crams a mirror box into this kind of size reduction effort while they just released an EOS M. Probably a cost mastery exercise?

PS.: Also interesting, the backward thinking :

The mirrorless boys add phase detection pixels to help AF in every situation.

The mirror boys add phase detection pixels to help AF in video mode, but also have an oldie AF sensor (their bloody ancestral diamond shaped 9 zone AF with a cross sensitive center zone).

Quote:EOS 100D aka Rebel SL1 (small, but still twice the EOS M actually)

EOS 700D aka Rebel T5i

and a new kit lens:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...5_6_is_stm

Pretty impressive MTFs here actually - superior to the 17-55 IS and 15-85 IS ... according to Canon.

Well, no surprise - it's quite a bit less ambitious.
Quote:Hi guys,

you know I'll rain on Canon's parade again... I'll spit, you've been warned ;-).

By itself, the 100D is kinda cool....

But then, ... it kinda sends a weird message to the EOS M folks in my opinion. I like to imagine that Canon top executive have put two design teams to compete against each other, as an incentive to boost productivity in these darker times !

So,

-They have spend ressources making a 43rd edition of the 18-55 lens (looks good on MTF, though) that is actually a tad longer than the old one. Lenses that people mostly don't buy separate, so it's really making this other one for a "video line" weirdly competing with their EOS M ? OK, other bodies will be bundled with that lens.

-They have spend ressources making a mk II hybrid sensor of a sensor basis I guess is the good old and aging 18mp sensor.

-They go for a mirror box, dog slow continuous, ...

-and last but not least it is expensive at £799/799$- we'll see street prices. Still, launch price puts everything into perspective. If it was cheaper... but any next gen MFT (think *cheap* panasonic follow up to the *cheap* G5?), Fuji or SONY (still a bit expensive though), with hybrid AF will probably compare very well.

Ok, enough bashing, I guess I just can't see why Canon still crams a mirror box into this kind of size reduction effort while they just released an EOS M. Probably a cost mastery exercise?

PS.: Also interesting, the backward thinking :

The mirrorless boys add phase detection pixels to help AF in every situation.

The mirror boys add phase detection pixels to help AF in video mode, but also have an oldie AF sensor (their bloody ancestral diamond shaped 9 zone AF with a cross sensitive center zone).

Well, looking at the comments out there, the EOS M was probably a sales disaster.

The double lens kit costs just 550$ after cash back locally now - seems as if they are desperate to reduce the produced stock.

It's interesting that mighty Canon may have missed the window of opportunity.  The rise of the mirrorless systems is/was inevitable. Releasing a half-hearty product with no unique selling point in a near-mature market was a doomed approach - and fortunately I didn't even bother.  Tongue

Well, maybe they'll give it another try - they will have to eventually.
That's what I mean. I'd have expected to come with an EOS M, perhaps with a EVF, boost firmware of current line. And you'd have a higher priced EVF EOS M next to a cheaper.

Well, anything but that 100D & reheated 700D, IMO.

I'm sure they'll catch up.

I like the 100D, on paper at least. Maybe my shooting style is not mainstream, but it isn't a small niche either. I do often use continuous AF and as far as I'm aware no bigger sensor mirrorless can provide that yet. So in that sense, if you put a gun to my head and said I had to pick either the M or 100D, it would be the latter without hesitation. However much people moan about the 9 point diamond, even if you only ever use centre point it still beats contrast for me. And I'd take 4 fps with tracking AF over say 10fps where you have to guess what you're pointing at after the first shot.

Of course, different people have different needs, and if you want smallest, the M may be more interesting (or any other mirrorless system).

How much of a factor is a smaller body if you have the same DSLR lenses? I can't see Canon bringing out many more small lenses, outside the possibility of more pancakes not far from the existing 40mm. I guess that is the tricky part. Will the 100D swing people who wouldn't have boguht any previous DSLR due to its size?

The new phase AF, we'll have to see if it is only a coverage update or it they managed to put some speed behind it too. Obviously it would likely go into the next M.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.