Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji X-E1 reviewed at dpreview
The overall score is on par with the x-pro1 and the olympus om-d e-m5:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-e1

I guess for many people it is a difficult choice between the x-e1 and the e-m5 given their similar prices <_<

Frank

Quote:I guess for many people it is a difficult choice between the x-e1 and the e-m5 given their similar prices <_<
Both are overpriced.
An overall score is probably the last thing you should be comparing on such complex devices...

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I also feel that the E-M5 is overpriced. While for the X-E1, I feel the price for the camera is reasonable but the price for the kit lens is overpriced even when buying the two together.

Quote:I also feel that the E-M5 is overpriced. While for the X-E1, I feel the price for the camera is reasonable but the price for the kit lens is overpriced even when buying the two together.
Mirrorless cams are basically like compacts plus perhaps a more or less sophisticated EVF. The E-M5 adds a clever anti-shake - but that´s all there is. A total rip off IMHO. And yes, Fuji tries to milk you with the lenses as well.

Quote:Mirrorless cams are basically like compacts plus perhaps a more or less sophisticated EVF. The E-M5 adds a clever anti-shake - but that´s all there is. A total rip off IMHO. And yes, Fuji tries to milk you with the lenses as well.

Ahh, no. Mirrorless are like mirrorless DSLRs, not compacts. Sensor size, degree of control, processing speed and, of course, image quality are basically identical. If you take the Sony SLTs this even applies to the viewfinder. 

The only difference in quality is the AF tracking capability. And this drawback is actually going to vanish very soon.

There are indeed 'compacts' that are similar to a mirrorless camera:

- Canon G1x

- Fuji X100s

- Sony GX100 (this one is the only 'real' compact in this row)

... and they are priced accordingly high. Reads - like a similar DSLR or mirrorless.

A a 450EUR/$ Fuji kit lens (price difference from naked body to kit) with a max. aperture of f/2.8-4 is a rip off ?

The primes are also reasonably priced in relation to their build quality, speed and performance level.
Quote:The only difference in quality is the AF tracking capability. And this drawback is actually going to vanish very soon.
Are we there yet? While all the companies seem to be working on some phase-like AF system to add to contrast, I don't get the feeling they're very close to the revolution yet.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Ahh, no. Mirrorless are like mirrorless DSLRs, not compacts.
In terms of construction principles a mirrorless is basically a compact, construction costs are admittedly a bit higher mainly due the larger sensor (20 dollar?). Mirrorless makers must enjoy huge margins.

Quote:In terms of construction principles a mirrorless is basically a compact, construction costs are admittedly a bit higher mainly due the larger sensor (20 dollar?). Mirrorless makers must enjoy huge margins.

If so why have Olympus & Panasonic posted multi-billion losses.

The whole imaging business is stagnating at the moment. 

There is simply an oversupply of cameras.

I just got a Panasonic GX-1 - it cost me 310AUD or 260EUR. How much money is in there for Panasonic ?
Quote:If so why have Olympus & Panasonic posted multi-billion losses.

The whole imaging business is stagnating at the moment. 

There is simply an oversupply of cameras.

I just got a Panasonic GX-1 - it cost me 310AUD or 260EUR. How much money is in there for Panasonic ?
Please show us that Oly and Pana losses are due to their camera divisions to validate your point.

Anyhow nice bargain! The GX1 was initially above 600 Euros... Pana suffers from a weird model policy and from the sluggish introduction of the m43 Sony sensor. A G3 costs 300 Euro these days, the GF3 is on offer at 200 Euro. On the other hand, Olympus wants 700 Euro for the E-PL5 (with kit lens) and 900 Euros for an E-M5 (body only).