Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help and advice needed for travelling
I'll shortly be travelling to OZ and NZ for a month. I think I'll just take the 5DII and the 24-105 f4L lens. My concern is storing the images I shoot. I don't want to take a laptop. Is it possible to (say) take a separate Hard Disk storage device that can be loaded with relevant software to download and store images just as I do with my computer at home. Are there any dedicated devices (maybe solid state) out there to solve just this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portab...4083163867
Quote:I'll shortly be travelling to OZ and NZ for a month. I think I'll just take the 5DII and the 24-105 f4L lens. My concern is storing the images I shoot. I don't want to take a laptop. Is it possible to (say) take a separate Hard Disk storage device that can be loaded with relevant software to download and store images just as I do with my computer at home. Are there any dedicated devices (maybe solid state) out there to solve just this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Honestly - how many images do you shoot ?

A 64GB flash card costs 100$/EUR. At this price it is pointless to go for a device.
I personally find the price for the storage devices linked by dave a bit high.

For the price they cost, you do get alot normal CF storage.

If it is just for backup, eventually take a cardreader and one usb-harddrive.

There are internet cafes in OZ and NZ ... just book in for half an hour

and copy your newest stuff from flash card to hard drive.

Offtopic ... one month for OZ is not the lot ... for OZ and NZ you will find

yourself in perpetual hurry. I personally spend 9 month in OZ on several

trips and 6 weeks in NZ ... and still find, that there is a lot more to see

in both contries.

Thanks to you all for the advice. Klaus is right. I'll just get a 64GB flash card.

Rainer, I agree a month is too short but the trip is mainly to see NZ. I'll only be spending a short while in OZ, visiting just Sydney (including Blue Mountains) and Melbourne, where my son is currently based. I'll be spending over 2 weeks on the NZ south island where my daughter has spent quite a bit of time and has produced an itinerary for us. Plus 2 nights in Hong Kong on both the outward and return journeys. Don't know that part of the world at all.

Quote:Thanks to you all for the advice. Klaus is right. I'll just get a 64GB flash card.

Rainer, I agree a month is too short but the trip is mainly to see NZ. I'll only be spending a short while in OZ, visiting just Sydney (including Blue Mountains) and Melbourne, where my son is currently based. I'll be spending over 2 weeks on the NZ south island where my daughter has spent quite a bit of time and has produced an itinerary for us. Plus 2 nights in Hong Kong on both the outward and return journeys. Don't know that part of the world at all.
OP has probably already taken his trip. I'll answer for posterity's sake.

For my next trip to Japan in Dec I got the IOGEAR MediaShair Wireless USB Hub. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7FR...UTF8&psc=1

I'm big on social media and I make heavy use of smart phone, tablet, and cloud. The Iogear uses Wifi to connect with either your smart phone or tablet. From there, you can transfer photos to your smart phone or tablet, or, with the optional USB port, you can attach an external hard drive.

My plan is to store my best and favorite photos to the cloud and/or post them to Facebook. I find it pointless to store each and every shot. 

I have lost a camera once in Hong Kong before (got it back 6 months later) so I do understand how it feels to lose all those memories and I do understand the importance of back up. If there's a special photo, rest assured, it's getting uploaded to the cloud somewhere so I can have a backup.

The Iogear also acts as a wifi repeater as it has the ability to log onto a wifi source. Once you log onto the wifi source, like say Starbucks, you can transfer media straight from the Iogear to Facebook, Dropbox, or whatever using the iPhone app. Battery life is about 9 hours.

If you have family members with you, up to 7 people can log into the Iogear simultaneously and access the contents of the SD card, external hard drive, thumb drive, (or whatever) you have attached to it. If you're on an airplane, you can pop in a 32GB thumb drive with movies and/or music on it, and everyone in your family can stream the movies or listen to the music from the device. There's lots of potential for this device if you are always on the go. I always keep it in my car.

My Panasonic GX1 does not have built in wifi, so the only way I can instantly share photos taken with it, is through the Iogear Mediashare.