Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8
Quote:Next ... something smooooooooooooooth .... ;-)
 GM 100mm STF
Agree about the questionable build finish choices. I really don't like this whole smooth "flower bulb" type shape look of the new Zeiss lenses. It seems to completely not match the camera and just lokos ugly. Also agree with the easy to scratch surface finish and crappy smooth rubber ring that is dirty within 5 minutes of use and will oxidise into an ugly grey colour. Why couldn't they stick to the classic ZM style? it would continue to be timeless and would be more durable. Instead these lenses already look like the tacky "futuristic" styles of the 90's pentax power-zoom lenses like the one below. 

https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/im...1b0366.jpg

Yep it's just plug ugly!
Quote:Klaus, how handy is the new LED display of the lens? It looks very cool.

Here is one item for corrections "lenses car beat the Zeiss".

Well, you have a distance indicator in the camera viewfinder so I'm not convinced that it is more than a gimmick. 

(thx of the typo - fixed)

There are rumors that this is actually a Tamron design, BTW. 

Dave ... you'll love that one ... ;-)

"There are rumors that this is actually a Tamron design, BTW. 

Dave ... you'll love that one ... ;-)"

I've seen it written that optics are from Tamron!    Tongue

The lens barrel style was borrowed from AC/DC's guitarist's "SLASH's Hat..........

..........somehow it works better as a hat I think..........it certainly doesn't work as a lens!

[Image: slash_1.jpg]

I see the antique fellows are gathering around again... "lenses have to be cylindrical and metal only", haha.

I don't dislike the lens design, I just hate the super-poor quality of the lens hood and front-covers (for the Touit, that is, but it's the same or worse on Batis). Getting no firmware upgrade from Zeiss is another weakness.

Quote:If they made the optics (even) larger could they reduce the vignetting or is it a property of bending the light ? 

Do you think they went with a distagon design due to the 7's sensor (i.e, reduce corner incident light)  or did Sony fix that in the camera ?

Also it seems that mustache is not uncommon for zeiss (i.e, 21f2.8).
The light reduction in the corners will be partly due to the micro lenses of the FF sensor not being able to catch all the light at wide open wide angles, and due to the small back elements, which is forced on the designer due to the narrow E-mount. Making the front elements larger will not cure either..
Quote:  The lens barrel style was borrowed from AC/DC's guitarist's "SLASH's Hat..........

..........somehow it works better as a hat I think..........it certainly doesn't work as a lens!

[Image: slash_1.jpg]
Slash is from Guns 'n Roses, not AC/DC.  Huh
...and he shoots Leica, not Zeiss.

:lol:

Just kidding. I'm sure he uses a smartphone like all normal persons. ^_^

Quote:Slash is from Guns 'n Roses, not AC/DC.  Huh
 Oops yes! 

I'm showing my ignorance and non enthusiasm of heavy metal!......I like Slash however.....a cool dude!