Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is histrogram visible with live view?
Hello Fellow Photozoners,

I own a EOS 5D I without live view. But I wondered do the camera's with live view also have the possibility to view the histrogram on live view directly or is it only possible to see the histogram after a exposure is made?

Best wishes,

Reinier
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1358930655' post='21504']

Hello Fellow Photozoners,

I own a EOS 5D I without live view. But I wondered do the camera's with live view also have the possibility to view the histrogram on live view directly or is it only possible to see the histogram after a exposure is made?

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

The mk II has live view with histogram. However, I'm not sure whether the aperture is adjusted according to your current setting.
All Canon DSLRs can show the histogram during live view.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1358940449' post='21508']

All Canon DSLRs can show the histogram during live view.

[/quote]

Yes, it looks like it. The relatively old 550D (rebel) has it, here's are screen shots

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/8
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1358939246' post='21506']

The mk II has live view with histogram. However, I'm not sure whether the aperture is adjusted according to your current setting.

[/quote]

Aperture is not closed normally, exposure simulation (the more expensive cameras you can turn it off and on, the cheaper ones don't have the off option) simulates the exposure of the set exposure time and aperture. You can close the aperture with the DOF button, and then the live view image gets adjusted to again show the "correct" exposure.
[quote name='photonius' timestamp='1358940737' post='21510']

Yes, it looks like it. The relatively old 550D (rebel) has it, here's are screen shots

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/8

[/quote]

The 40D and 450D were the first ones with live view (if you discount the 20Da), and both already offered a live view histogram.
Thanks guys for your replies. The histogram is not the only reason, but it is an extra motivation to start saving up for a 5D II.

There are still some new 5D II's for sale. Hopefully the price drops a bit more.