Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7artisan a new lens manufacturer
dave9to5, I somehow find my crap still more interesting than another dull manual focus 50mm/1.1  Big Grin

And your answer even more so (interesting, that is). First, the internet is filled with crap - it doesn't matter if I add some to it or not, it will remain the "multiplier of stupidity". Second, I could pretend to have not only a master degree in metallurgy, but also be professor for rare earth and less rare crap.

If you own a Master degree in this, fine. But to me it remains doubtful. Copper and zinc are part of brass. Copper and zinc can be found as pure metals - brass never. You first have to "cook it and make the alloy". Same for bronze, I don't think I need to point out for the periodic system - any signs of bronze or brass?

Now, I also was looking up the (traditional) Chinese signs for

Copper  éŠ…

Brass     é»ƒéŠ…

Bronze   é’銅

So, the Chinese source most probably was correct - or just lazy and wrote 銅 (or simplified Chinese: 铜)

So, these old Chinese fellas DO make a very accurate difference in metals, of what you, the great master degree metallurgist just stated copper = brass = bronze  :lol: I mean, you're right: Why name the alloy in this case but not in all various aluminium or steel alloys? But in common language - even in the simplified English we're talking, we also know a difference between copper/bronze/brass and we use these words knowingly. I'm only toolmaker and sort of engineer for machinery, but rest assured, none of my master-degree teachers would have accepted your answer. That's my explanation for my reaction to your post. Decide for yourself who's talking crap, I simply don't care, but in a nice way.

Oh, and we were also told to use the terms "Kupfer-Zink
" (as a mnemonic to "Messing
") and "Kupfer-Zinn" instead of "Bronze". No one did say so, but you know. teachers...

I didn't expect it would be so very clear for the Chinese - I use to keep in mind that some of the more technological specific terms in Chinese have to get new combinations of logos. Understood by people around Shenzhen, but less so in Beijing or - you know better than me. 87.000 different logos, Wiki states for daily use it's sufficient to know around 3.000 - 5.000. I suddenly feel culturally underdeveloped with only 26 characters  Sad I have to monitor some translation processes of manuals, so I envy you for your Chinese skills.

Oh, and as for the Americans: Are there any states on both American continents which lead "America" in their state name? And if it comforts you, there were also three Argentinians amongst them  ^_^ No Engrish, though.

The next thing sounding weird: Speaking of "false Gods" - my, my, as a Scientist you should know better. You don't know which Gods are false and which are right. Again, don't care as long as there is an entity I can pray or curse to  B)

Interestingly - to draw the curve back to metals - bronze, bronce, brontzetko, brons is understood in most European languages - except portuguese, greek, celtic or gaëlic. Whereas brass needs more effort to learn: Messing, laiton, ottone, mässing, latón. Portuguese and Latin makes it simple: All is "aes" (bronze as brass).

A Hamburger, btw. lives in Hamburg. Usually he or she will defend him-/herself if one likes to eat him.

Messages In This Thread
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by toni-a - 07-11-2017, 10:22 AM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by Klaus - 07-11-2017, 12:13 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by goran h - 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by davidmanze - 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by toni-a - 07-11-2017, 04:23 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by Rover - 07-11-2017, 09:27 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by Klaus - 07-11-2017, 10:08 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by Klaus - 07-11-2017, 10:17 PM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by Ayoh - 07-12-2017, 01:24 AM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by dave9t5 - 07-12-2017, 01:48 AM
7artisan a new lens manufacturer - by JJ_SO - 07-12-2017, 05:57 AM