• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Good Read
See http://www.bythom.com

Puts the new toy and it's demands on the photographer into context with D3X etc
[quote name='AAC7man' timestamp='1341763572' post='19363']

See http://www.bythom.com

Puts the new toy and it's demands on the photographer into context with D3X etc

[/quote]

I guess you shouldn't comment on your own post - but anyways....

I find the assertion by Thom that matrix metering gives problems similar to those in the D80 a huge disappointment. Nikon should do better than this when they can get so many difficult things right.

Can any D800 users comment please?

Thanks
Some of the cheese is gone, that's obvious, but I don't see the missing trap focus functionality or button setups etc... as deal breakers. However AF point biased matrix metering can be an issue for me. Even with my D700 I sometimes complain about the metering which relies too much on the selected AF point.

More importantly, it is confirmed (again) that the 36mp will show up "too much" detail unless exotic lenses are used. Unfortunately there aren't enough image samples on the net taken with those lenses. I mean the 24-85mm f/2.8-4D for instance... Or the 70-300mm VR, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8G, or in general older AF or non-AF UWAs. I believe the D800 is eager to punish many lenses if one will insist on pixel peeping...

PS: I wonder how many amateurs would buy the D800 if the rumoured 24mp D600 would be on the market today.

Serkan
i've seen people pictures (action shots) in good light from the E via the 70-200 and 70-300 and i'd be very happy with all of them, everything's nice....but they are from half way around the world....still, i'll be visiting soon to see if they're real, and i'm looking forward to it
[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1341991972' post='19409']

Some of the cheese is gone, that's obvious, but I don't see the missing trap focus functionality or button setups etc... as deal breakers. However AF point biased matrix metering can be an issue for me. Even with my D700 I sometimes complain about the metering which relies too much on the selected AF point.

More importantly, it is confirmed (again) that the 36mp will show up "too much" detail unless exotic lenses are used. Unfortunately there aren't enough image samples on the net taken with those lenses. I mean the 24-85mm f/2.8-4D for instance... Or the 70-300mm VR, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8G, or in general older AF or non-AF UWAs. I believe the D800 is eager to punish many lenses if one will insist on pixel peeping...

PS: I wonder how many amateurs would buy the D800 if the rumoured 24mp D600 would be on the market today.

Serkan

[/quote]

Good point about the D600. The most important missing detail is the actual price.