Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Beware of the conmen
#11
Quote:That should then be "a warned man counts as two"

But we say mens, so more correct should be "a warned human counts as two".  
 

 The English expression is:    "To be warned is to be armed" 

 

 

There is no such word as "mens"  men is already plural...... However, there is a word men's............the apostrophe before the "s" means to belong to!   (men)......as in "the men's room"  

 

  Dave's cliches (the snapshots that belong to me).

 

  Have you seen Photozone's review of?.......etc.

Dave's clichés
#12
Just a side note, in the medical field, we know that usually catastrophes happen when you are not aware, take the example of tetanus a deadly disease yet easy to prevent, because vaccination is done in childhood and repeated every ten years, everyone is protected yet the medical personnel always verifies immunization status for every wound just because the disease is deadly yet easy to prevent, with that we still have cases of tetanus and guess what's the most frequent cause ? it's roses spikes 

Why ? people never suspect getting tetanus from a rose spike and don't seek treatment... 

#13
You are right, Birghtcolours, it was past my bed time when I wrote :unsure: .

 

Mistakes like these are easily made, I normally have a habit of reading mine post once over. But sometimes I just forget or just miss my own errors. Hope it has been forgiven :lol: .

 

 

Kind regards,


Reinier


Sorry, I meant 'when I wrote it'. I forgot to place 'it'.
#14
That's new for me that rose thorns can cause tetanus.

 

Here you only advised to get a tetanus shot when you cut yourself, or just in my case 2 months ago, the cat lay on the arm rest of the sofa and I was lieing on the floor. The cat woke up, fell and came down on my face and thereby scratched my neck. A cut of 15 cm was the damage.

 

 

So, even indoors is not safe!

 

 

 

 

 

Kind regards,


Reinier
#15
Quote:That's new for me that rose thorns can cause tetanus.


Here you only advised to get a tetanus shot when you cut yourself, or just in my case 2 months ago, the cat lay on the arm rest of the sofa and I was lieing on the floor. The cat woke up, fell and came down on my face and thereby scratched my neck. A cut of 15 cm was the damage.



So, even indoors is not safe!






Kind regards,

Reinier


ANY wound can cause tetanus, nobody treats rose thorns that's why they are the leading cause of tetanus, bigger more dangerous wounds usually are treated, that's why ideal thing to do is vaccination, a shot every ten years that's not a big prevention effort
#16
Indeed, if you can prevent tetanus, then that's a good thing.

 

I got the shot because of our cat. 15 years ago I got one, when I cut myself while sawing. 13 years before that I got one because of a moped accident.

 

Maybe there is a difference in countries, that one is more prone for tetanus occur than another?

 

 

Kind regards,


Reinier
#17
Quote:Indeed, if you can prevent tetanus, then that's a good thing.


I got the shot because of our cat. 15 years ago I got one, when I cut myself while sawing. 13 years before that I got one because of a moped accident.


Maybe there is a difference in countries, that one is more prone for tetanus occur than another?



Kind regards,


Reinier


Since you're interested in infectious diseases:

Clostridium tetani the bacteria that causes tetanus, has a very effective survival method: It transforms itself onto a spore that can live for a very very long time once inside a wound it germinates, multiplies and produces the toxin responsible for the disease ( yes it's the toxin that has high affinity on motoneurones that control the muscles that causes the disease not the bacteria itself that's why antibiotics are of no help) vaccination is very effective since antibodies not only help killing the bacteria but also bind to the toxin and neutralize it.

Problem with vaccination is it's not immediate you need time to develop immunity that's why usually a serum containing antibodies is usually given with vaccination for immediate protection.


If in a country X everyone has had vaccines you won't have people having the disease but the spores are always there so you are not safe unless you have had your vaccine.
#18
Quote: 

 

There is no such word as "mens"  men is already plural...... However, there is a word men's............the apostrophe before the "s" means to belong to!   (men)......as in "the men's room"  

 
Mens is a dutch word.
  


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)