Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Tamron AF 24-70mm f/2.8 SP Di USD VC
I am disappointed that PZ did not give the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD the Highly Recommended rating the lens deserves. 

Review consistency is important and PZ faltered in adding up its raw data. This lens has very few strikes against it and none that diminish its role as the current 24-70mm f2.8 king, especially given its exceptional performance and value.

As the review states, MTF results are "solid". 

PZ also writes that "chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are very well controlled and not relevant at all tested aperture settings and focal lengths. This is quite impressive."

Also, "LoCAs (non-coinciding focal planes of the various colors) are a common issue with relatively fast glass - they are often noticeable in out-of-focus halos: magenta (red + blue) in front the focus point and green beyond. Surprisingly the Tamron is only marginally affected."

Those are three major components of great glass.

The review only slightly knocks the quality of the bokeh, which is not what this lens or others in this range were built to excel in producing.

Other criticisms include the presence of distortion and vignetting, which can be easily corrected and which have not prevented other lenses from being awarded a Highly Recommended rating.

A plus not mentioned in any of the reviews I have read is the near silent operation of the vibration compensation (IS). Although secondary, it's a definite boon for video recording and complements the silent still shooting featured on the Canon 5D Mark iii. That said, I realize that PZ ratings do not factor in how lenses perform recording video.

Solid "MTF" results, "controlled" and "not relevant" chromatic aberration, "marginal" LoCA, nearly four stops of IS, weather sealing and a price $1000 less than the next competing lens without IS. Should that not be enough to give the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD the Highly Recommended rating it deserves?

If there was any doubt as to how it would compare, PZ should have held off reviewing the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD until it could first evaluate the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.

I hope PZ returns to its review and gives second thought to its rating.

Please visit http://www.larsparonen.com for a look at my subjective results pitting the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD against the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in the 24-70mm range mounted on a Canon 5D Mark iii. While not a full review, together with other resources online, it may give you a clearer picture of how the Tamron fairs against rivals.

Regards,

Lars

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Tamron AF 24-70mm f/2.8 SP Di USD VC - by Moosemilk - 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM