•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS 6D II and 200D (Rebel SL2) announced
Hi All,

How are you all doing?

We were, or at least I was, anticipating the arrival of the new 6D II.

Has some of you already bought one or are you considering it?

I read on Dpreview the IQ is not much better, but I surely like some of the new features, like the screen. What are you thoughts?

Kind regards,

Reinier
The IQ of my 6D is great. Not sure how it could or should be better in the mk II. Somehow, people on dpreview seem to think that "IQ" means high DR numbers at base ISO hidden in the depths of RAW. Oh well.

Hello reiner. As Far as I remember your type of photography - this article may be interesting for you.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/341615...amic-range

@Brightcolours - Since first day of photography the DR has been an issuee. Just to name few of them -  developing of film, doging and burning in dark room.
No matter how big the DR - reality still has bigger ranges to deal with. And for stills there's always the possibility to do HDR.

But I am happy for each improvement, because HDR-series is not always a solution. And the occasssions to need this technique become lesser with higher DR-range. Never understood why somebody thinks DR per se is a bad thing or not worth to pay attention for. Either it's sombody who never faces challenging light situations or is happy with black silhouettes or has to appear happy because the system he chose just doesn't offer much DR.

Quote:Hello reiner. As Far as I remember your type of photography - this article may be interesting for you.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/341615...amic-range

@Brightcolours - Since first day of photography the DR has been an issuee. Just to name few of them -  developing of film, doging and burning in dark room.
Dodging and burning was used to limit the DR mostly. To increase contrast. 
Quote:Hi All,

How are you all doing?

We were, or at least I was, anticipating the arrival of the new 6D II.

Has some of you already bought one or are you considering it?

I read on Dpreview the IQ is not much better, but I surely like some of the new features, like the screen. What are you thoughts?

Kind regards,

Reinier
Unless you already have the full format lenses, 6d offers very little if any over 80D, besides 80D plus its lenses are much less bulky, and you save some $$$, if I were to choose I would go without hesitating to 80D. besides Canon APS-C lenses ofering is very decent : you have the almighty Canon 17-55f2.8 (for me it's the best standard zoom lens Canon has made) 15-85 is another gem, the new 18-135 nano USM is nothing short f a good lens do you are well covered
Quote:Dodging and burning was used to limit the DR mostly. To increase contrast. 
Yes the workflow is as follow

high DR scene -> High DR negative -> /dark room processing= DR compression/ -> Low DR foto paper /6...7stops/

Yes result is reduced DR and increased contrast on fotopaper.

Many photographers still use this technique. That is why we need high DR negative.

My experience - 90% of the time I have good lighting. The DR of my smartphone is good enough.

Quote:Yes the workflow is as follow

high DR scene -> High DR negative -> /dark room processing= DR compression/ -> Low DR foto paper /6...7stops/

Yes result is reduced DR and increased contrast on fotopaper.

Many photographers still use this technique. That is why we need high DR negative.

My experience - 90% of the time I have good lighting. The DR of my smartphone is good enough.
Funny. So the DR was too high, and with burning and dodging they brought it down to get a more contrasty, low DR image.

Luckily, the standard tonal curves of cameras do that for us already.
Quote:Funny. So the DR was too high, and with burning and dodging they brought it down to get a more contrasty, low DR image.

Luckily, the standard tonal curves of cameras do that for us already.
Unfortunately the tonal curves does not do that. It is local adjustment.It is time consuming process even that software like photoshop and lightroom make it much easier.  I'm afraid that you are talking to something different.

Here is the wiki link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning

Quote:Unfortunately the tonal curves does not do that. It is local adjustment.It is time consuming process even that software like photoshop and lightroom make it much easier.  I'm afraid that you are talking to something different.

Here is the wiki link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning
Yes, tonal curves do that. How do you suppose a 12 to 14 stops of DR in the RAW end up showing the 7-8 stops standard output? The tonal curve. 

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next