Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has plans to upgrade his Eos 5D I or II to 5D III?
Hello Fellow Photozoners,

There has been a lot of discussion about the Canon EOS 5D III. According to some people(mostly non Canon users) its specs are disappointing.

But I wonder is anybody who has a Canon 5D mark I or II thinking of upgrading when the mark III comes out or perhaps within half a year when the price drops?

Best wishes,

Reinier
The biggest perceived problems with the 5D3 is the D800 exists. Putting aside the resolution, the D800 still has much more shadow recovery potential, and is cheaper. The sensor from the 5D3 is hardly different from the 5D2, and people were expecting a bit more there. However, the rest of the specs of course are nothing to complain about. Canon have been doing things differently of recent years, and this is no exception.

As for me, I don't see myself getting a 5D3 within a year, and I'm glad I didn't wait for it over the 5D2 now. It doesn't suit my main style nor fill any gaps I have in what I want to do. I'm more likely to snap a hypothetical 7D2 as soon as that exists, or possibly a future high MP full frame if Canon don't price it far beyond the 5D3.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Abolutely agree.

I was waiting for the 5D3. But a 5D3 like the D800. As this is not the case, I'll upgrade to a D800E.

I do 90% of my job with a 70-200 2.8. So for around 5K (D800E + Nikor 70-200) I can have a serious improve in IQ. (IQ that I expect to save me time, not as a caprice)

The other 10% of my job, by now, I will continue with canon. In the future, maybe I'll invest in more nikon glass, or maybe canon will come with an even better camera.

It's a very strange feeling to change from canon after all these years. But I think for me is the practical thing to do, and, you know, that's business...
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1338298527' post='18543']

But I wonder is anybody who has a Canon 5D mark I or II thinking of upgrading when

the mark III comes out or perhaps within half a year when the price drops?

[/quote]

Yes, I will upgrade from my 5D1 to a 5D2 if ...

... the availability of the 5D3 on the market has had a noticable impact

on the price of a used 5D2.

... my 5D1 dies a sudden death (and is not economically repairable).

It's the fourth year that I use the 5D1, and I am still satisfied with the image quality,

so if none of the 2 constraints happen, I will simply continue to use what I have.

Just my 2cts ... Rainer
I did upgrade.

I got a pretty good price for my II so the cost was significant but not massive; and of course I get a new guarantee and a new shutter mechanism and all of that along with the improvements that the III brings.

I'm very happy: there is not much difference at low ISO (though I think the resolution is a tiny bit more than you would expect for so few extra pixels).

At higher ISOs it's nice; I think usably more than a half stop, because the pattern noise is less and it generally both looks better and takes to noise reduction better. I suspect the massive NR of the JPEGS is only in part the better processor: it's also that the files take to noise reduction at high ISO better than the II.

The focus is a dream compared to the II, especially (of course) the AI focus -- I'm now taking pics for my cycling club that I couldn't have got with the II.

In some ways the wider distribution of focus points (and the orientation coupling of them) is even more important. I can put an accurate focus point where I want an eye to be in a portrait oriented portrait, and thus get much more accurate focus at wide apertures than with focus-and-recompose.

I've been caught in the rain: no problem. I really love the way you can use the DOF button to temporarily override focus mode (from single shot to AI or vice versa). The using the fn button to turn on the level makes shooting panoramas on the fly much easier. Love the viewfinder. Love the extra card slot, and the general feel of it.

Would I go for a D800 sensor in the same body if I could? Not sure. I'd like the low ISO DR. But I don't' think the extra pixels matter to me (except perhaps if I were shooting wildlife and I wanted to crop for extra reach). And when editing multiple layers in photoshop the large files would be a nuisance (also for LR performance).
I still love my 5DII. However I am longing for a wideangle/standard zoom like the EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8, which I used for my previous APS-C. The 24-70mm II will likely be out of my league - so I am kind of hoping for a surprise à la 7D2, with the 5D3's autofocus system and of course a sensor that rocks.
[quote name='obsoquasi' timestamp='1338339005' post='18551']

I still love my 5DII. However I am longing for a wideangle/standard zoom like the EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8, which I used for my previous APS-C. The 24-70mm II will likely be out of my league - so I am kind of hoping for a surprise à la 7D2, with the 5D3's autofocus system and of course a sensor that rocks.

[/quote]

The Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC should be right up your alley then?
I think 5D3 is not the expected product for 5D2 owners (because of the reasons popo already mentioned). OTOH Canon APS-C or 5D1 owners seems to be lucky because they have two decent options for a possible upgrade... Maybe we can exclude the 7D owners from that lucky group...
[quote name='obsoquasi' timestamp='1338339005' post='18551']

[/quote]

The equivalent of f/2.8 on APS-C is f/4 on the fuller-format, so one of the f/4-ish zooms could fit your needs on the 5DIII.