Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are nex 7 problems fixable with software updates?
I have a C3 and am planning on getting a 7. However, reading here and elsewhere on problems, evidently with its sensor, scare me from buying one. are these problems fixable with a hoped for software update from Sony, or is the sensor "unfixable"? any chance of a Nex 7B coming out with a fix? I would like the LVF and I guess the other option is a 5N with the aux. viewfinder? is there an option to shoot at a lower resolution that would fix the issues?

thanks,

sorney1
No, not fixable with a firmware update. It will have to be a 7N with fixed sensor design.
thanks,

guess I will put my money back in my pocket for now. what is their usual timing on updates?

sorney1
if you should RAW there is something you can do. most programs like DxO and Ligthroom/ACR can do something about irritating lens distortion and CA and thus improve things a bit.

the often in reviews mentioned soft sides and corners can be improved upon as well. not within Lr where sharpening or adding microcontrast works globally, but in DxO you can apply it locally based on what is build in in the appropriate lens/camera module. although you cannot improve sharpness that was not there in the first place, the results, when printed, look quite a bit better then without what DxO calls use of the "lens softness module".

i only have the 18-55 with the NEX 7 and i must say i am pretty impressed given the price of the lens.
a new firmware update has been released that shall fix problems with wide angle lenses. So I am eager to read about the results this update offers...
[quote name='mawk' timestamp='1351357637' post='20740']

a new firmware update has been released that shall fix problems with wide angle lenses. So I am eager to read about the results this update offers...

[/quote]

It fixes the violet color cast at best.
Yea as Klaus said they can fix the cast in firmware; the resolution drop off is very noticeable (esp if you enlarge) but without the cast your eyes won't be drawn to the area.
Hi all,

I ditched the kit lens pretty early, and a few others as well, just keeping the Sony-made Zeiss 1.8/24 - amazing lens. Alas no anti-shake, so you need to treat it with respect! Oh, I got the NEX-5N, not the NEX-7!