Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FredMiranda.com on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D800
http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index.html

A bigger difference than I expected.
Interesting review. Too bad Canon does lag behind in dynamic range, something I would probably see a difference in actual landscape photography. Seeing any resolution difference would depend on having very sharp, top of the line lenses, beyond my budget.
Read it quickly. The review looks quite convincing.
Convincing if you don't need the live view manual focusing; I am no sure that he knew the camera well enough and I cannot imagine that Nikon has produced a below par focusing system when using Live view, but it needs to be investigated.
You know what that reminds me?

It reminds me of Apple. Once upon a time Apple used to make their propriety chips for Macs, which meant not just competing against Microsoft but also AMD and Intel. Then Apple switched to Intel.

Canon makes their own "propriety" sensors for DSLRs, but Nikon buys the best sensors: Sony (D800), Aptina (Nikon 1), Renesas (D3s).

This is not a war Canon is ever going to win on dxomark.
[quote name='Sathe Wild' timestamp='1335273577' post='17721']

You know what that reminds me?

It reminds me of Apple. Once upon a time Apple used to make their propriety chips for Macs, which meant not just competing against Microsoft but also AMD and Intel. Then Apple switched to Intel.

Canon makes their own "propriety" sensors for DSLRs, but Nikon buys the best sensors: Sony (D800), Aptina (Nikon 1), Renesas (D3s).

[/quote]

Apple wasn't making their processors. Originally they were using Motorola's (68xxx). Later on, they switched to the PowerPC architecture (a IBM-Motorola-Apple alliance) which was based on IBM's Power architecture. It certainly wasn't an Apple design. If anything Apple had some input, but most of it was IBM and to a certain extend Motorola.

I understand what you mean though. I believe Canon will have more and more difficulties competing against Sony (and also Samsung) in the sensor department.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
[quote name='Sathe Wild' timestamp='1335273577' post='17721']

[/quote]

As thxbb12 already pointed out, Apple never produced CPUs for their Macintosh (or even older PCs) themselves. They started to use their own designs only just recently in some iOS devices (A4/A5 CPUs).

In addition, even if your perception might be different, this is no "war". You may not follow the market long enough, but for many years Canon's sensors set the benchmark for everyone else to beat.

That time is no doubt over, but nonetheless I don't get it why cameras are again and again reduced to the high ISO performance and dynamic range of their sensors. Is that really all you care about? Hey, that Sigma may have a heck of a sensor, but does that alone make it an attractive camera?

Even with the issues Canon is currently facing with both the 5D III and the 1Dx, both cameras are still very capable and well equipped machines. There's more to a camera than just the sensor, and certainly more to a system than just the cameras. When we look at the system as a whole, the EOS and EF line of products is still one of the most modern and complete ones.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1335276939' post='17723']You may not follow the market long enough, but for many years Canon's sensors set the benchmark for everyone else to beat.[/quote]

Absolutely. Canon basically lost the undisputed pole position when Sony switched to CMOS sensors back in 2007. Before, their CMOS tech was clearly better than Sonys CCD stuff.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1335280297' post='17726']

Absolutely. Canon basically lost the undisputed pole position when Sony switched to CMOS sensors back in 2007. Before, their CMOS tech was clearly better than Sonys CCD stuff.

[/quote]

Sony did not "switch to" CMOS in 2007. Early 2005 the Nikon D2X came to market with a Sony sourced 12mp CMOS 1.5x crop APS-C sensor. The Sony R1 was introduced half a year later with a 10mp CMOS 1.7x crop APS-C sensor.

Only with the 12mp APS-C sensor introduced with the Nikon D300 the Sony CMOS sensor was on par with the Canon CMOS sensors. Since the 16mp Sony APS-C sensor (found in the K5, D7000, NEX5 among others) Sony have lowered the read out noise floor, giving them an advantage in EV range. High ISO wise, there is not a lot between the Sony, Canon and Nikon sensors at the moment.
Whatever, I tend to mark 2007 as the year when Canon lost the technological leadership in sensor tech due to highly competitive CMOS designs by Sony. That´s 5 years in which Canon failed to regain the pole position.