Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are LWPH lower on NEX7 than NEX5?
Hi there,

I've been comparing photozone reviews of lenses they've tested both on the NEX5 and NEX7, and for many of the reviews, corner sharpness in terms of line width per picture height (lwph) is LOWER for the NEX7.

For example, the kit lens 18-55 has an extreme border sharpness of about 1200 lwph at 18mm f3.5 on the NEX7 and 1800 at the same settings on the NEX5.

My understanding of the lwph is that it's the maximum number of line pairs that can be counted across the height of the photo. In that case, shouldn't NEX7 LWPH always be greater than or equal to NEX5 LWPH for the same lens at the same settings?

Or do these results mean a NEX7 print would have lower resolution than an equal sized NEX5 print, when both photos are using the same lens at the same settings?

In the FAQ, Klaus mentions this:

EffectiveResolution = a * b * c * d * LensResolution

What might make sense is if the MTF numbers in the reviews are LENSRESOLUTION, not EFFECTIVERESOLUTION. But I would rather know about effective resolution, as I can't change a,b,c,d on my camera.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Well, as also mentioned in the reviews we believe that the NEX 7 sensor (system) has an issue towards the borders.

All tests (including 3 unpublished ones) indicate a dampening of the corner resolution at large aperture settings.

We do not observe a scaling effect that we've seen on other systems when migrating to the next (high resolution) camera.

The origin is unclear - it could relate to the sensor cover glass or the micro lens design (the latter made a difference on the C3/5n).

The sensor effect is most significant with symmetrical lenses. There would be no negative effect with tele-centric lenses but none of the current NEX lenses qualifies here (except maybe the Zeiss 24 ?) resulting in a varying degree of dampening dependent on the lens specifics.

The NEX 5 sensor was already not perfect in this respect. We believe that the 16mp sensor of 5n/C3 represents the best offering by Sony.
deleted; started a new thread with my off topic quesetion.

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1334479466' post='17516']

Well, as also mentioned in the reviews we believe that the NEX 7 sensor (system) has an issue towards the borders.

All tests (including 3 unpublished ones) indicate a dampening of the corner resolution at large aperture settings.

We do not observe a scaling effect that we've seen on other systems when migrating to the next (high resolution) camera.

The origin is unclear - it could relate to the sensor cover glass or the micro lens design (the latter made a difference on the C3/5n).

The sensor effect is most significant with symmetrical lenses. There would be no negative effect with tele-centric lenses but none of the current NEX lenses qualifies here (except maybe the Zeiss 24 ?) resulting in a varying degree of dampening dependent on the lens specifics.

The NEX 5 sensor was already not perfect in this respect. We believe that the 16mp sensor of 5n/C3 represents the best offering by Sony.

[/quote]