Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
Shall I just mention Petya or Wannacry? Since when is it a bad thing, not being attacked by such epidemic outbreaks? Do I care if it's because of obscurity or "superior technology" or whatever? As long as I don't have to waste time, money, processor-performance or services to get these things fixed again, so I could wait for the next attack?

I know, Win 10 is massively better than everything before 7 - but I haven't had virus problems since 2005 and I'm not wasting disk space or processor time for a virus scanner.

OS C superior or not - Bill Gates knew what he was doing when supporting Apple / Steve Jobs at the time a lot of things went Shittsburgh at Apple. So he could copy nice interfaces...

Which is a nice loop back to the subject. Apple was very successful so far because they cared a lot about interfaces. The way smartphone users use their cameras - if it's any more simple way, just tell me. And nobody needs to have a dozen knobs, dials, buttons, joysticks and what else. A bit more of that simplicity would be very welcome here.

The best thing Apple has done is market themselves. Somehow people love them like they're their home team.  People think they invented stuff they didn't. Even Jobs said what he never invented anything, what he did was see a good idea and exploit it. Probably similar to Gate's practices. Isn't that how engineering and science really works? You can see for miles standing on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes. Keep building on the past.

After many years of using windows I've not experienced any of these doomsday scenarios. Maybe I need to visit the right sites? I don't know. Likewise, my ex wife was a mac user and I spent many an hour helping/fixing problems for her. In my office there certainly is security on people who use macs computers.

I know the movie portrayed Gates badly (I don't believe he's philanthropist for reasons they say for instance). But he did nothing any company I ever worked for, several of the tech giants, would do. I'm sure of several companies that would say the same of apples practices.

Worst of all, at least in the US, I don't believe anything would have been done under today's climate, sans some sort of "merger." We've come down to, and have accepted monopolies and duopolies Sad . What's weird is one always seems to have a "worse" reputation, take our two main ISP providers; I've tried both and both have horrible customer service and after you wade through the BS the prices are identical (hmm, fixed?, never! ha). But people hate one more than the other, just like there's one bank that became the poster child after the housing market collapsed though they all did the same practices.

But to your point. I do agree that with ~30 years of improving interfaces whether apple, Microsoft, or some company they purchased or got technology from, MANY electronics, including cameras, could and should have a better interface. Actually, a much better interface. I'm dismayed at some equipment we buy at work for $$$$$ that I end up writing my own interface for just so I can quit hitting buttons down to buried layers of features.

Everything is a trade off I suppose. I'm convinced Microsoft dumbed down some of their programs to make it easier for most users, but ended up making it harder for the super user. Then again, they've gotten smarter and figured out ways to move some of the features back up to a more accessible levels in 2016. My niece who just graduated college in engineering and started her career told me this in an opposite way. Apple is easier for most and Microsoft is easier for the super users. 
In the beginning I hated Apple because everything they put in their interface worked another way than expected from Windows. But my then girl-friend got her bubble-lamp iMac and together we managed to install a printer without diving for drivers, a router without reading couple of nights in manuals.

Before, on OS 9 or earlier, it was not much better than IBM's OS, a lot better than Windows 3.x

With OS X things changed very much. Apple's reputation in fact is the user experience (and the "overpriced" hardware...) which a lot of people share ("How easy that can be") contrary to ("why does this have to be co complicated?") Sure, over the years Windows users had to learn it's not so good to work always as Administrator on the own PC. That I also would not recommend to do on a Mac. 

Micorosoft is easier for people who don't want to give up all the useless stuff they learnt - but if one knows this stuff well and loves to feel as super user....  Big Grin On a daily basis I have to master FrameMaker, Word, a CMS, couple of Editors, all the Adobe stuff - nothing was a as easy to learn or looks better in the end result than Apple's pages. They simply know what is needed and how to make it work with easy.

Camera manufacturers with "overpriced" hardware don't guarantee an interface experience like Apple  Wink
Mike, you write as if you have experience with Macs, but you actually do not have real experience and it is evident.

There really is a need for virus scanners for Windows, there really is no need for that for the Mac. Even today. The many years with Windows you have spent did need malware protection, virus protection, and new installations because Windows just gets slow all by itself over a year or two just using it. You did get into drives issues. 

I wonder what this "super user" nonsense is too? I wonder why Mac OS is so popular under developers. Might it be because with its Unix, it actually is much more powerful for "super users" than Windows?

And that Apple invented nothing. And that Jobs said that himself. Where do you come up with that stuff? Apple invented windows. The GUI Apple got the inspiration from (Xerox Star development) for the Mac and LIsa, did not have any windows. Just to name a basic thing. Yes, Apple did not invent the micro processor, or the computer. But they were the 1st with a personal home computer (the Apple II), in 1976. Video on computers was pioneered by Apple (Quicktime, 1991 and on). Quicktime was more that just video, it was very advanced for its time. Including Quicktime VR, another innovation. 

The Apple Newton, another innovation (1993). 

Ah, lets not try and make a big list.