Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
Quote:....My impression is that people often expect things to work immediately the way they want or expect, even though cameras cannot yet read minds, ...

Yes. And there is nothing wrong with this expectation. If anything, amneu has to help me, not to point out how far developed the software engineers are - or how much retro and only going ways from the past.

Cameras cannoz read minds, true. But a lot of actions we are doing with them are the same over and over again. It is not hard to predict one wants to set up Auto-Iso and Auto ISO has to relate on the used focal length. Soem features are so common these days, that it's embarassing why camera manufacturers act as if they have the only standard recipe.

A couple of times I rented a car. Did I have to read the manual to find the gear shift, light switch, brake pedal?

No. That only was necessary because Software engineers are sometimes too arrogant to find common ways of user interface for radio or GPS. Standardization helps and sets resources free for other projects. Look at Apple and Google and their UI- these are competing firms. Trash-bin, play button, AF-button, Menu and OK made it to hardware - and each menu has to be the reinvention of the wheel? I sort of doubt that. 

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by JJ_SO - 06-21-2017, 12:04 PM