Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
Quote:I'm no Olympus user, but arrogant comments like this - although basically true - I also read a couple when asking about settings which are just opposite of intuitive. And for settings I don't know because they're not in the manual and well hidden - how can one ask?

I was looking for user settings when I got my first Nikon D800. The manual doesn't tell me Nikon has an entirely different concept to handle these in their "pro" lines. The settings of the benches are floating while user settings are saved as long as I don't choose and save others.

If these (Olympus settings) are buried at some remote and unexpected corners (if you pay me the time, I can make you a lots of these for Fuji) it's not necessarily  the user's mistake not to find them. And I know thxbb12 as a person able to google, to read manuals and to learn.

Also, in these flimsy manuals are no maps which show the menu fully and readable. I always get only selections of certain regions, because that's what they can do in a max A5 or smaller manual - on PDF or via HTML they would have better possibilities, they are just to lazy to use them.

Also, if there's a possibility to draw such a graphic map of the menu, the next logical step would be to use this map for settings and show correlations between them, instead of just make a setting I want to use grey because Fuji cannot imagine someone would use toy camera filter with manual focus (I think it was sort of this kind of weird stuff, but I didn't put any effort into remembering it.

That might be the difference, Wim: Some people are impressed when they get fat manuals with gazillions of settings to learn. I get impressed when I realize, the designers had a very clear concept and idea what should be done how and in the fastest and most intuitive way. The manual can remain in the box, if these people took their job as challenge.

I am replying from a cell phone here, so a little awkward, and a little shorter than normal.

No I was and am not arrogant, I certainly did not mean to be, but I get a liitle upset occasionally, when things get stated as truths which are not and seem to come forth from expertise which is not necessarily there.

Personally, I do not like manuals, I agree you should not need them, and I will only peruse them if all else fails. And as to Oly menus, they are done quite logically, so generally not a problem from that POV. The only problems which may arise are those caused by options one hasn't seen before on another camera or heard of, as in, what does the option mean, and what is the difference between the sub-options, if the in-built help option is not clear enough. For those I may grab the manual, or more likely, search the internet.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by wim - 06-22-2017, 12:11 AM