Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
Quote:Since I have used anything from compacts with barely to no VF to rangefinders to slrs, both analog (from a very young age) and digital, in formats from wide MF to 110 and even smaller digitally, and am fairly technically inclined, I may have an advantage I guess.

I suppose you're right, you don't experience problems because you have a lot of acquaintance with different systems. OTOH I've been always a single-camera-type user (Nikon DSLRs first and Sony mirrorless now).

The only point I disagree with JoJu is the comparison with cars. Sure, we all can enter and drive a car that we've just rented and never owned before. But that "drive" probably means "basic usage", and basic usage is not a problem for cameras too. When you goes through advanced features such as sport style of driving, including the availability of different presets in the electronics, 4WD, etc... you do need some time to get into acquaintance with the car.

So cars' UIs are not so different than cameras' UIs.

PS I still recall the first time I drove a car with automatic gear, about 20 years ago. It was a rented car in San Francisco. First I took a few minutes to ensure I had correctly understood how to safely park; then, when I exited the car rental, I found myself at the very top of the typical steep downhill road in San Francisco, and I was *really* feeling uncomfortable for not having the clutch...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by stoppingdown - 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM