Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
Quote:....

I don't know where you get the idea HDR cannot be done in Raw, however. You have plenty options to shoot a set of Raws for HDR stacking. F.e., an automatic set of 7 shots at 3 stops exposure difference results in more DR than even the brightest daylight with darkest shadows possible. And converting these to jpegs I would always want to do and therefore control myself, IOW, in PP.

Sigma introduced a SFD-mode (super fine detail) for it's dp and sd quattro series. Result is a set of 7 raw shots, occupying 350 MB on the memory card and taking ages to be stored and double as long to get unpacked, adjusted and merged with (at the moment) disappointing results. You can decide for yourself how much wind is allowed in landscape shots.

The way Olympus creates higher resolution shots is a bit different, I thought - they save one RAW. The same could be done with HDR and focus stacks.

I don't think you will do a better job in post when your first transfer a 14 bit RAW to a 8 bit JPG to recreate a 16 bit tif or whatever. I'm a big fan of "staying on the RAW track as long as possible and only finally change coaches".

thxbb12 is right, there's not much reason to pretend as if RAW is something pure coming out of  a camera - Fuji and Olympus AFAIK already do lens corrections in RAW,

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by JJ_SO - 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM