Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
I guess I don't see the interface any worse than smart phones. I would actually say they're better. I have a Droid and an iPhone, It seems to find something in the settings takes a google search. Even then, sometimes that only gets you in the ballpark because an update had already changed it.

When I got the Oly Pen-F it took only a few minutes to figure out how to use P/A/S/M and adjust those setting with the wheels, adjust exposure comp with the wheel, change ISO, and change focus points. That covers about 90+% of its use.

I then started going to the menus. Most the settings I didn't touch. Of the ones I did, most those will never need to be touched again. Then there were a few I will probably change on occasion. Granted, it would be nice if I could push those to a user defined menu like on a Canon. However, I'm sure as I get better acquainted with the camera I'll figure out how to put those items into the custom functions.

Thinking about this, all cameras come with some proprietary software. As such, why don't they make a setup wizard you can run when the camera is tethered? On top of that, a way for "advanced" users to go directly to the items they want to change? The beauty here is each item could have a mouseover that offers more detail On top of that, there could be a help button for each item that goes into even more detail I can't remember how many times I was staring at a Canon menu item trying to figure out the difference between the listed options. I should patent this!

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by mike - 06-27-2017, 10:51 PM