Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly
The best thing Apple has done is market themselves. Somehow people love them like they're their home team.  People think they invented stuff they didn't. Even Jobs said what he never invented anything, what he did was see a good idea and exploit it. Probably similar to Gate's practices. Isn't that how engineering and science really works? You can see for miles standing on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes. Keep building on the past.

After many years of using windows I've not experienced any of these doomsday scenarios. Maybe I need to visit the right sites? I don't know. Likewise, my ex wife was a mac user and I spent many an hour helping/fixing problems for her. In my office there certainly is security on people who use macs computers.

I know the movie portrayed Gates badly (I don't believe he's philanthropist for reasons they say for instance). But he did nothing any company I ever worked for, several of the tech giants, would do. I'm sure of several companies that would say the same of apples practices.

Worst of all, at least in the US, I don't believe anything would have been done under today's climate, sans some sort of "merger." We've come down to, and have accepted monopolies and duopolies Sad . What's weird is one always seems to have a "worse" reputation, take our two main ISP providers; I've tried both and both have horrible customer service and after you wade through the BS the prices are identical (hmm, fixed?, never! ha). But people hate one more than the other, just like there's one bank that became the poster child after the housing market collapsed though they all did the same practices.

But to your point. I do agree that with ~30 years of improving interfaces whether apple, Microsoft, or some company they purchased or got technology from, MANY electronics, including cameras, could and should have a better interface. Actually, a much better interface. I'm dismayed at some equipment we buy at work for $$$$$ that I end up writing my own interface for just so I can quit hitting buttons down to buried layers of features.

Everything is a trade off I suppose. I'm convinced Microsoft dumbed down some of their programs to make it easier for most users, but ended up making it harder for the super user. Then again, they've gotten smarter and figured out ways to move some of the features back up to a more accessible levels in 2016. My niece who just graduated college in engineering and started her career told me this in an opposite way. Apple is easier for most and Microsoft is easier for the super users. 

Messages In This Thread
Camera user interfaces, the good, the bad and the ugly - by mike - 06-30-2017, 05:11 AM