• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Sony acting silly?
Why give up on a free advertisement?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pressures...main-name/
[quote name='Yakim' timestamp='1332625584' post='17013']

Why give up on a free advertisement?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pressures...main-name/

[/quote]

Yes. And so are MANY other big brands who make sites, who clearly have no affiliation to the brand, stop or change their names.

Apple, Canon, T-mobile (for the use of the colour magenta...), Microsoft, there are countless companies who do not seem to get that communities can be valuable and silly stuff like this is detrimental to the company's image.

I guess that is what you get when legal departments are too much detached from the business itself.
Yea. There might be broader legal issues with regards to trademark (I presume there is a trademark on the 'sony' name); but (imho) generally this sort of action is significantly more negative than positive.
well i don't know what all this is about as i haven't read the link, but this thought may be related….

….i suspect that SOME companies do recognise what they see as benefits to their bottom…..line - i mean don't you see sales and marketing reps everywhere in some photography forums, sprucing and fawning over THEIR gear so much so that the average picture joe doesn't want to go anywhere near those sites (sorry sales and marketing guys…..but if your gear is any good it will sell itself, and visa versa, despite your best efforts)

….i was thinking that all forum type places should have a sort feature such that if THAT certain word is mentioned in a post then said post is deleted from your viewing pleasure, a gooooogle reverse search feature if you like :-)
Sony had some tough time with security recently.

They have slept too long, and now they overreact.

And Sony is not only a camera maker. They are big a media and content provider as well and I guess the pressure comes from that corner.

A good old hardware maker won't worry about some free extra ads.