Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ Lens Test Report - Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
Not as bad as expected:

[url="http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/726-canon28f18eos5d"]http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/726-canon28f18eos5d[/url]
Indeed not the best background bokeh. What actually would be interesting is to see the Sigma 28mm f1.8 tested next to it for comparison. The Sigma might be a bit better in the measurements. Of course, it is bigger, heavier and a bit less nicely built, and lacks the nice AF from USM.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1332597714' post='16979']

Indeed not the best background bokeh. What actually would be interesting is to see the Sigma 28mm f1.8 tested next to it for comparison. The Sigma might be a bit better in the measurements. Of course, it is bigger, heavier and a bit less nicely built, and lacks the nice AF from USM.

[/quote]

The f/1.8 Sigmas in this range are supposed to be terrible ...
The distortion seems high for a prime.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1332591090' post='16977']

Not as bad as expected:

[url="http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/726-canon28f18eos5d"]http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/726-canon28f18eos5d[/url]

[/quote]

your test mirrors my real life observations. Resolution drops off midframe and than recovers towards the corners and borders. corner performance being a tiny bit better than border performance.

one thing id like to add though. AF precision is virtually none existant. it is almost impossible to get an in-focus shot at f1.8 -f2.5. no amount of af-micro-adjustment helps as focus is not consistently off in one direction. before somebody calls bad techbique: i always get spot on focus with the 85mm 1.8, so it definately is a lens issue.
Indeed a bit better than expected. Thanks for the test.

The 24 and 28 f/1.8 Sigmas were tested by SLRGear, the latter also by Lenstip, and the 20/1.8 by The-Digital-Picture.com. These lenses are indeed not very hot (to put it mildly) but strictly speaking they're still current so maybe a test is in order? Some people like the results they get from them.
[quote name='Rover' timestamp='1332604517' post='16997']

The 24 and 28 f/1.8 Sigmas were tested by SLRGear, the latter also by Lenstip, and the 20/1.8 by The-Digital-Picture.com. These lenses are indeed not very hot (to put it mildly) but strictly speaking they're still current so maybe a test is in order? Some people like the results they get from them.

[/quote]

I think the Samyangs outshadow all these lenses anyway.
[quote name='Rover' timestamp='1332604517' post='16997']

[/quote]

The 20/1.8 and 24/1.8 are on my list, I haven't found a good 28/1.8 yet.

The 20/1.8 is no doubt the best of the three regarding build quality. The 24 and 28 both wobble like crazy.

Optically they are all not stellar. What makes them a bit special nonetheless is their rather short MFD.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1332601995' post='16993']

your test mirrors my real life observations. Resolution drops off midframe and than recovers towards the corners and borders. corner performance being a tiny bit better than border performance.

one thing id like to add though. AF precision is virtually none existant. it is almost impossible to get an in-focus shot at f1.8 -f2.5. no amount of af-micro-adjustment helps as focus is not consistently off in one direction. before somebody calls bad techbique: i always get spot on focus with the 85mm 1.8, so it definately is a lens issue.

[/quote]

RSAs ... they are mentioned in the text.
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1332617531' post='17008']

The 20/1.8 and 24/1.8 are on my list, I haven't found a good 28/1.8 yet.

-- Markus

[/quote]

I'm happy with the Minolta 28/2.