Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 VC coming ...
I wait until Tamron comes with a 15-1000 mm zoom. Fullframe and with a cariage underneath.

Quote:I wait until Tamron comes with a 15-1000 mm zoom. Fullframe and with a cariage underneath.

How about the Opteka 420-800, http://opteka.com/420800.aspx , a bit lacking at the short end, but only 520 g, definitively hand-holdable, no carriage needed. Rolleyes

Or the Opteka 650-1300 [url=http://opteka.com/6501300.aspx,%C2][/url] a tad heavier with 2kg, near hand-holdable. <_<
Quote:How about the Opteka 420-800, http://opteka.com/420800.aspx , a bit lacking at the short end, but only 520 g, definitively hand-holdable, no carriage needed. Rolleyes

Or the Opteka 650-1300 a tad heavier with 2kg, near hand-holdable. <_<
oops, here is the link: [url=http://opteka.com/6501300.aspx%C2][/url] -

I think this is made by acclaimed lens producer Samyang, though for some unknown reason they don't want to show that anymore on their new Samyang web site.... maybe they are a bit shy.
Quote:Looks like there are no miracles in stock for us:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamro...view-31259

A good superzoom lens, an honest politician, a gold nugget in the street, a fairly priced Leica... Smile

yikes....   maybe decentered at 300-400 when the extended lens barrels flop down a tad a the front... <_<

Still, a bit sad,  a 400mm lens that weighs only 710g is really amazing, never thought it possible. Perhaps if they tried this as a 100-400mm lens with good performance at 400mm
I hope they get around to making a 100-400 zoom some day. There's surely a market... I attended an airplane spotting event today and the crowd was bristling with these (Canon made, of course, in either version). My 70-200 was a definite non sequitur in that setting...

Quote:I hope they get around to making a 100-400 zoom some day. There's surely a market... I attended an airplane spotting event today and the crowd was bristling with these (Canon made, of course, in either version). My 70-200 was a definite non sequitur in that setting...
There is one already. It's called the Sigma 100-400. Okay, it's not a Tamron, but it weighs only 1160 grams and is as sharp as the Canon 100-400. The best part: it costs less than half the Canon
Quote:How about the Opteka 420-800, http://opteka.com/420800.aspx , a bit lacking at the short end, but only 520 g, definitively hand-holdable, no carriage needed. Rolleyes

Or the Opteka 650-1300 a tad heavier with 2kg, near hand-holdable. <_<
    I haven't seen this particular model, 420-800mm, their 650-1300mm model wasn't an exotic piece of kit and was next to useless!

This sort of product harks back to the days of the small ads at the back of photo magazines  in the seventies and eighties, "seedy sketches" of long nonsense zooms accompanied by "wild claims of miracle resolution"  and of course a scene of a distance speck on the horizon with the lens's close up view of a small critter in a circle next to it. Next that you find the door viewer "fish-eye lens" adapter for £3.99 etc.

Here's their current blurb:

The Opteka 420-800mm high definition super telephoto zoom lens is perfect for the professional and amateur photographer alike. There is a built-in, rotating tripod mount for easily attaching to your tripod or monopod. It's an extremely powerful telephoto zoom lens with the versatility that you need. This lens is great for the wildlife or nature photographer who wants to be hidden while taking photos of the subject. Advances in ultra high-index / low-dispersion optical glasses, new barrel materials, and exotic anti-reflection coatings, along with the latest in computer-aided-design / computer-aided-manufacturing), are combined to produce lenses of unprecedented quality. Diamond-cut from crystal-clear, water-white optical glass, Opteka lenses are ground and polished to a precision.

Does that read well or what?

So many have been tempted by those attractively described lenses at a bargain price, after the first try of the wobbly barrel and the jerky focus ring, 90% of them are put straight back on ebay where they don't sell, the rest spend a quiet life in the wardrobe.

Love the old photo mags of the seventies BTW.

There's no doubt that Samyang should move on from these embarrassing wares!

Quote:    I haven't seen this particular model, 420-800mm, their 650-1300mm model wasn't an exotic piece of kit and was next to useless!

This sort of product harks back to the days of the small ads at the back of photo magazines  in the seventies and eighties, "seedy sketches" of long nonsense zooms accompanied by "wild claims of miracle resolution"  and of course a scene of a distance speck on the horizon with the lens's close up view of a small critter in a circle next to it. Next that you find the door viewer "fish-eye lens" adapter for £3.99 etc.

Here's their current blurb:

The Opteka 420-800mm high definition super telephoto zoom lens is perfect for the professional and amateur photographer alike. There is a built-in, rotating tripod mount for easily attaching to your tripod or monopod. It's an extremely powerful telephoto zoom lens with the versatility that you need. This lens is great for the wildlife or nature photographer who wants to be hidden while taking photos of the subject. Advances in ultra high-index / low-dispersion optical glasses, new barrel materials, and exotic anti-reflection coatings, along with the latest in computer-aided-design / computer-aided-manufacturing), are combined to produce lenses of unprecedented quality. Diamond-cut from crystal-clear, water-white optical glass, Opteka lenses are ground and polished to a precision.

Does that read well or what?

So many have been tempted by those attractively described lenses at a bargain price, after the first try of the wobbly barrel and the jerky focus ring, 90% of them are put straight back on ebay where they don't sell, the rest spend a quiet life in the wardrobe.

Love the old photo mags of the seventies BTW.

There's no doubt that Samyang should move on from these embarrassing wares!

Yes, I was being ironic, in case it was not obvious.  By not listing the T-mount lenses on their new web site probably they want to improve their image. Maybe the cheap stuff will only be sold by companies that put their own "brand" sticker on it. But maybe Samyang discontinues this stuff completely, now that they have a serious lens line to sell with better profit. 
Quote:There is one already. It's called the Sigma 100-400. Okay, it's not a Tamron, but it weighs only 1160 grams and is as sharp as the Canon 100-400. The best part: it costs less than half the Canon
Yes, I know the Sigma lens, but a 750g 100-400 lens (half the weight of the Canon 100-400 II) would be nothing to sneeze at.
Lenstip.com got their hands on one and it doesn't look THAT piss poor comparing to the EPZ results I posted earlier.

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o...est_ob=514

By the way, I was an effin' psyker, predicting the Tamron 100-400 a couple of months before it was announced. Smile Unfortunately that one is f/6.3 at the long end too.