Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your suggestions for a 4K video camera for use on DJI Ronin
A friend of mine, a professional weddding videographer  has been using Canon 6D plus Tokina 16-28 on DJI Ronin for videos, the combo is too heavy and tilting the setup sometimes, besides he needs decent autofocus,and optionally 4K that are lacking

What camera body/lens combo would you suggest ? without going too high on the price, I was considering Canon 80D or a Sony crop body plus 10-18, or maybe a MFT camera, but since I am not an expert here I would rely on your advice.

The only AF for video usable for pro stuff comes from Canon, the DPAF. Otherwise, just get a small sensor camera with big DOF where you will not notice AF searching that much.

At the moment, only the Canon 5D mk IV and 1D-X mark II offer 4K, but not very wide angle AF due to cropping. You can of course use a modified 10-18mm on them.

Not sure why wedding photographers need 4K though. 

For the moment he can just get a lighter prime lens (but that won't solve the AF wish).

DSLRs for 4K video? .......not really!

Canon make video cameras for a living, so they cripple their DSLRs either by not putting in 4K, or putting in an uncompressed huge file format..........anyway too expensive.

Nikon's AF, not really!  Pentax.....well err no. 

The only DSLRs that can do 4K are expensive anyway!

....................................................................................................

ML is the way to go for video I would say.

Sony have good 4K in the A6300, but it is prone to overheating, but if you able able to shoot for less than 15 mins or so you should be OK, they are very reasonably priced!  

The Panasonic GH4 is primarily a video camera and is probably the cheapest as it's been out for some time, it can be found for less than $1,000 new.....(the new GH5 is expensive)................both of these focus fine and would be a good choice.

To save money I would probably go for a used GH4, however, I don't know much about video other than what I hear from those that do!

A nice panasonic GH5 should do - but I have no idea about the qualities of it's WiFi tether controls. So, I fully support dave's reply  Smile

Some of the better drones already have a very capable 4K video camera on a Gimbal - I don't believe a current DSLR would improve a lot compared to DJI Mavic Pro

DJI Ronin is not a drone, though.

Quote:A nice panasonic GH5 should do - but I have no idea about the qualities of it's WiFi tether controls. So, I fully support dave's reply  Smile

Some of the better drones already have a very capable 4K video camera on a Gimbal - I don't believe a current DSLR would improve a lot compared to DJI Mavic Pro

If you are happy with the level of drone 4K cameras but don't want to raise the brides dress around her ears to reveal her "modesty" at the alter!... :o    ....

.........  then there are inexpensive mini 4K cameras sold separately, but with wide general angle fixed lenses, I don't see a role for them in wedding photography though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G9N1D-gBH4&t=97s

For a real proven video camera the GH4 remains the cheapest!

So if he wants a compromise and drop 4K what would your recommendation become ? 80D ? Or any more affordable alternative. Remember he had tilting problems with 6D plus tokina 16-28 since the combo is merely 2kg
Wedding photography and 4k video are two different things.

I was curious: DJI Mavic Pro with spare battery: 1250,-

EOS 80 D with 18-55 kit 1100,-

The EOS just doesn't fly and the Magic Pro doesn't shoot great stills - but the video qualities are perfect for this kind of size.

I don't recommend the drone since I don't know much more than I read in the net and once I met a guy flying one. He said, it was really easy and the speed I saw was great. It has also some cool features in it. If it has to be drone made 4k video, that would be the way for me.

DJI even offers ND filters. Apparently they know a bit about video cameras.

Quote:So if he wants a compromise and drop 4K what would your recommendation become ? 80D ? Or any more affordable alternative. Remember he had tilting problems with 6D plus tokina 16-28 since the combo is merely 2kg
I am not very at home in video aspects. I still do not understand why a wedding photographer would want 4K video. Who (clients) all have big 4K screens to see 4K? And not all 4K is worth the name, most have high res. files but not high res. IQ. Then there is the big storage size, the heavy computing involved to edit and even play back. Seems like a spec list want rather than a need?

If you want AF to not spoil the footage, the only AF in video that is any good really (upto a point) is the Canon DPAF. The 80D is about as heavy as the 6D, although a UWA lens is not that heavy for it. If you want shallow DOF, you can't approach what the 6D+ f2.8 Tokina gives. If you want big DOF, Af becomes less important again. 

The 77D is lighter than the 80D, and probably gives the same video features, including the same DPAF. With a EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM you get stabilized video if wanted, with silent and smooth/fast AF.

The EOS M5 with EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 IS STM lens is lighter still, offers DP AF too, and lens wise even better IQ. I believe the bitrate for the video is less. The EOS M6 is even more compact and light, and offers the same features as the M5.

If you drop the AF need, all kinds of other options can be interesting too, including that GH4 mentioned above.
  4K images can be processed, cropped, treated and then downsized to 1080P which looks "much better" than the FHD straight out of camera.......just that alone is why utube Vloggers are using it more and more.    Whether you decide that you need that extra IQ for weddings is another matter.

I was under the impression that Sony, Fuji and Panasonic have every decent video AF-C, some with both eye and face detect.

Anyway, although the sale 4K TVs got off to a mediocre start.....it's on it's way, (looking at TV prices, a 4K television can be bought for €500-600 base price for a 101 cm sized screen).

Given the track record of the TV manufacturing industry, I would be surprised if the ordinary 1080P (2 Mb) TV  will still be available for sale in a few years time and at ever reduced pricing, who would want one?

I'm no video man either, but the rear screens on DSLRs are rarely bright enough for filming outdoors and most serious bloggers want to be able to look through a viewfinder, of course this means an electronic one.......... a ML camera has all the necessities for video that the DSLR just hasn't.

In the struggle of camera type dominance, the one area where the battle is won is in ML video, and with the Sony A9 competing at sports and kicking butt, things are on the move for stills.

However the death throws of the passing  DSLR will be a long drawn out affair, probably painful to watch....but it's on it's way, along with the common usage of 4K!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/