Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro arrives!
It's there on Nikon's official site relating to what lenses are fully compatible and which use some of the facilities. I'll try and find it tonight maybe.

"No, it doesn't. Either you have "competing" lenses which head towards the same memory bank - then paper labels or adjusting one lens to the other come into play. Or one lens is identified  as another - as long as it's consistent, who cares?"

Those who have just mounted their WA Sigma lens which needs say -3  and they get +4 from their tele-zoom and they have to remember to change the AFFT each time they want to mount either of the lenses!

Quote:I never use the release setting in the menu BC! I see it as a way to get more OOF images.

AF-C is continually on as long as you hold down the BBF button where AFS just does the one time.....( I know I don't need to tell you that)...with stationary subjects I have never noticed any difference in AF accuracy.
AF-C will check focus constantly, AF-S will not, and i bet you are using that with the close up Sigma try outs on both cameras. Try MF or AF-C and see the difference.
Do it for your own pleasure... so far, I never missed a feature or found a function which was working on a Nikkor lens, but not on a Sigma or Tamron. I'm not saying there are not such lenses. I'm just saying, if I have or had them, I didn't notice any super-secret extra cool gadgets. 

On the contrary!

Tamron:
  • All lens collars come with Arca-swallow tail.
  • The lenses are very well designed, with metal parts at the spots for the collar
  • 100-400: I've never seen this feature to choose either a dedicated distance zone OR choose a distance limit and the zone results from the position of the focus ring when switching it ON. How cool's that?
  • Tap-in console for future firmware updates, customisations like sensitivity for override manual focus
Sigma:
  • USB dock, same purpose as Tamron's tap-in console
  • lens foot (of 150-600 Sports or 500/4 Sports) as an option, very long and again with Arca profile
  • better rear lens caps than Nikon has
  • Mount change service - if you ever get attracted to Canon...
  • Some lenses are very unique and not available from Nikon or if, then the Sigma's are often delivering better IQ
Nikon:
  • lately some price increases of next generation lenses which really hurt (12k for a 180-400/4 zoom, which was before half price), and I don't see these prices backed up by raising IQ.
  • The105/1.4 G is also very unique, but for that price I could get a Sigma 135/1.8 AND  85/1.4 Art...
  • if lens collars, I only know extremeley wobbly design (300/4 PF E, 70-200/4 G)
  • However, the 300/4 PF E was worth the puchase. In it's range it's the lightest 300 mm I can get.
  • the rear caps suck
  • the front case easily flip out of the fingers
Quote:AF-C will check focus constantly, AF-S will not, and i bet you are using that with the close up Sigma try outs on both cameras. Try MF or AF-C and see the difference.
   You've lost your bet BC.    

I pretty much use only AF-C in priority+ (single point focus mode here) + BBF, it was the mode used for testing.   

JoJu, 

Here's Nikon's focus point availability list with various lenses.....

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_so...us_points/

....depending on the lens it shows the available cross point sensors that operate with it!

It's stated that only some Nikon lenses can use the maximum, and I've read that TPMs have to settle for the minimum!

And that is what you call full feature?  :blink:

How much sense would it make for Nikon to limit the number or properties of focus points to Nikon only? I expect, if a focus point can be chosen, it will work properly - everything else is attempt of betrayal, no? :ph34r:

Also, if Nikon is picky for their own lenses as to which points can be used with which Nikkor, you hardly can expect them to treat the competition better - on one side. And on the other side, even as a "Nikkor and nothing else"-fanboy one doesn't get full access to all points - so what's the real benefit of going the Nikon only path?  ^_^

What's BBF? Do I understand correctly: For testing and using in-camera-calibration, you're on AF-S? Good man. Just because I also want to be a good man...  Big Grin I use the same. AF-C as standard.

Back button focus.

I very rarely use AF-S!

Quote:You've lost your bet BC.    

I pretty much use only AF-C in priority+ (single point focus mode here) + BBF, it was the mode used for testing.
How do they behave in AF-S? And in AF-C with shutter priority? Not sure if that can be done with BBF

Quote:How do they behave in AF-S? And in AF-C with shutter priority? Not sure if that can be done with BBF

As stated BC, as a rule I use AF-C and back button focus in focus priority mode, I never use release mode, I tried it and sure enough it releases the shutter to fire even when poorly focused......frankly I see it as a "paparasse mode" ie. you get  "a"  shot regardless!...........Steve Perry a well know nature photog and Nikon author and expert on AF uses it with BIF, however, then he lives in Florida and there the birds want to sit in your lap they're so tame.

One thing I do find annoying is the D750's shutter button, it's way too sensitive, to the point where when you want to wake up the camera it's difficult not to take a shot,  the net result is I don't want to go near that button unless I want the shot. 

The D5/D500 has changed the way AF can be called upon in so many different ways without taking your eye away from the viewfinder, AF-C)

BBF (AF ON button)-------activates single point focus.

PV button  (front)-----------activates 3D focus.

FN1 button  (front)----------activates group focus.

Center joystick button------auto area mode......this is a huge advantage, when shooting BIF.

It's a slick act and makes other methods of AF selection seem like someone has gone out of their way to make it as awkward as possible.    I believe the D850  has the same system.

On the D750 with the Tammy G2 you have to change your left hand grip, find the AF button by the lens mount, scroll the thumb-wheel, re-change your left hand grip........then shoot! .....hardly on the fly!
Quote:And that is what you call full feature?  :blink:

How much sense would it make for Nikon to limit the number or properties of focus points to Nikon only? I expect, if a focus point can be chosen, it will work properly - everything else is attempt of betrayal, no? :ph34r:

Also, if Nikon is picky for their own lenses as to which points can be used with which Nikkor, you hardly can expect them to treat the competition better - on one side. And on the other side, even as a "Nikkor and nothing else"-fanboy one doesn't get full access to all points - so what's the real benefit of going the Nikon only path?  ^_^

I don't know if Nikon's picky-ness is due rather to "technical difficulties" aperture sizes and light, for example the G2 on the D500 can't focus to the extreme high corners of the array at 600mm, but will at 500mm (not with a cross point) , oblique light at smaller apertures prevents it. 

What's the real benefit of using Nikon glass?   Well at least you know that they were designed for Nikon cameras by Nikon, and not reversed engineered to fit Nikon and your getting the maximum AF performance out of your DSLR. 

But then my favourite lens is the G2, it nails AF......and on any Nikon I've put it on.....AFFT always seems to be -2.