Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MF vs MFT - interesting :)
A comparison between Medium Format and Micro Four Thirds.

http://www.superinfocus.com/from-medium-...-micro-43/

An interesting read for those interested .....

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Thanks for sharing Wim. I've rarely printed past 11x17".  Big Grin
Win, thanks for sharing.

I find it very interesting... Prints ate more telling than highly compressed jpeg.

What the post is not explicitly sayint is that we need quality glass no matter the system.
Big Grin

What I found quite interesting is that although the MF image shows slightly more detail, the MFT image shows better contrast ....

Of course it is hard to say whether this is caused by differences in processing, but at first glance it looks like better microcontrast.

Also, the MFT camera used is a 16MP version. AFAIK, and IME, the latest, 20MP bodies are better in many respects; the sensors are better.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
One picture with f/16 and the other with f/5.6 - diffraction doens't give a shit about equivalence. Reducing the lens' resolution by stopping down like mad comes at a price.- 

"Shows slightly more detail..." haha, with a camera with a solid shutter slap and 2 seconds exposure time. Sorry, this trick only works in that kind of dull light. I came to very different results than this guy when I compared the Fuji GFx50 with a Nikon D810 and that was not 2.5× more Pixels.

Quote:One picture with f/16 and the other with f/5.6 - diffraction doens't give a shit about equivalence. Reducing the lens' resolution by stopping down like mad comes at a price.- 

"Shows slightly more detail..." haha, with a camera with a solid shutter slap and 2 seconds exposure time. Sorry, this trick only works in that kind of dull light. I came to very different results than this guy when I compared the Fuji GFx50 with a Nikon D810 and that was not 2.5× more Pixels.
Of course, diffraction does give a shit, concerning equivalence.
Lets take a simple to calculate example, 25mm f2 on MTF and 50mm f4 on FF.

The aperture on the 25mm f2 lens is the same as the other lens:
25 / 2 = 12.5mm.
50 / 4 = 12.5mm.

Diffraction of the light at the aperture will be the same.
However, the distance of the aperture to the imaging plane will be bigger with the 50mm, most likely. So the softening of the diffraction will be worse, due to the extra distance.
However part II, when you print the images the same size, you will enlarge the image captured but the MFT system more, and so also the softness of the diffraction will become more clear.

The end effect on the printed images: the same softening from diffraction.

Ergo: diffraction does give a shit about equivalence.

However, if they shot f16 with the Fuji and f5.6 with MFT that is not quite equivalent.