Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Cleaning a CPL filter
Today I cleaned my Kenko CPL filter in the same way as cleaning a lens. But I found there were always some colourish smear marks of the lens cleaning liquid left on the surface of the filter. Then I tired to clean the smear marks with a microfibe cloth and breath, it cleaned off some smears but some are still there. Should I clean the CP filter in a way different from cleaning a camera lens?

Advices are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Frank
I searched the website and found that this seems to be a common problem (even for a BW CPL filter). Is cleaning a CPL filter more difficult than cleaning a camera lens?
I've had this problem with filters in general, mostly Hoya. Maybe they use a different coating. Recently, I've been using the LensPen. It's a dry cleaner, so there is no residue. So far, so good.
[quote name='Ron H' timestamp='1327766798' post='15275']

I've had this problem with filters in general, mostly Hoya. Maybe they use a different coating. Recently, I've been using the LensPen. It's a dry cleaner, so there is no residue. So far, so good.

[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. I have a lenspen but I remember that the manual said the lenspen cannot be used to CPL filters so I did not use it. I will try to find out the manual.

Regards,

Frank
Yes, my pen is the FilterKlear™ LFK-1, and in the instruction it is clearly stated that "Do not use Lenspen® FilterKlear™ on polarizing filters or on wet surfaces." See [url="http://www.lenspen.com/media/FilterKlear_SpecSheet_March2010_Lo.pdf"]the instruction[/url].

Regards,

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1327731994' post='15271']

Today I cleaned my Kenko CPL filter in the same way as cleaning a lens. But I found there were always some colourish smear marks of the lens cleaning liquid left on the surface of the filter. Then I tired to clean the smear marks with a microfibe cloth and breath, it cleaned off some smears but some are still there. Should I clean the CP filter in a way different from cleaning a camera lens?

Advices are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Frank

[/quote]

First, is it a digital Pro1? It has nothing to with CPL, it's a question of coatings. Some are better than others. The B+W MRC and Hoya HD are supposedly better than for example the Hoya and Kenko digital pro1. The key aspect of the PLs, CPLs is that they are two glass panes with the filter foil in-between. The B+W Kaesemann CPL is supposedly sealed at the sides, while most others are probably not. Hence, depending also a bit on construction, liquid, including lens cleaning liquid at the edge can seep down the edge of the filter glass into the layer inbetween and cause problems. That's the reason why I think lens cleaning liquid is not recommended for CPLs.

However, I did use liquid handwash soap (or Yes etc.) to clean a very greased up old Hoya PL, I just was careful to not let the liquid go down the sides. It's perhaps best to soak a tissue with the cleaning liquid and use that to remove stubborn stains. Any lint is easier to remove later.

So, coming back to your filter, yes, I had similar issues with Hoya digital Pro1 Uv filters, always a few streaks left behind. I use lens cleaning liquid on a lenspad to loosen them up, and dry up with breath and a freshly cleaned cotton handkerchief. Microfiber works too, but it has to be clean too. If the microfiber cloth is not clean anymore, you just keep spreading new grease streaks onto the filter.

I also suspect that the filter rims are often covered in machine oil from manufacturing, so one keeps gettings stuff from there.
[quote name='photonius' timestamp='1327844758' post='15286']

First, is it a digital Pro1? It has nothing to with CPL, it's a question of coatings. Some are better than others. The B+W MRC and Hoya HD are supposedly better than for example the Hoya and Kenko digital pro1. The key aspect of the PLs, CPLs is that they are two glass panes with the filter foil in-between. The B+W Kaesemann CPL is supposedly sealed at the sides, while most others are probably not. Hence, depending also a bit on construction, liquid, including lens cleaning liquid at the edge can seep down the edge of the filter glass into the layer inbetween and cause problems. That's the reason why I think lens cleaning liquid is not recommended for CPLs.

However, I did use liquid handwash soap (or Yes etc.) to clean a very greased up old Hoya PL, I just was careful to not let the liquid go down the sides. It's perhaps best to soak a tissue with the cleaning liquid and use that to remove stubborn stains. Any lint is easier to remove later.

So, coming back to your filter, yes, I had similar issues with Hoya digital Pro1 Uv filters, always a few streaks left behind. I use lens cleaning liquid on a lenspad to loosen them up, and dry up with breath and a freshly cleaned cotton handkerchief. Microfiber works too, but it has to be clean too. If the microfiber cloth is not clean anymore, you just keep spreading new grease streaks onto the filter.

I also suspect that the filter rims are often covered in machine oil from manufacturing, so one keeps gettings stuff from there.

[/quote]

Thank you, Photonius. Yes, my CPL is a digital pro1. It seems the problem is in the coating. Today I tried to clean it with a clean cloth and breath again. It is better now, though the smear cannot completely get away. It looks weird, even with breath the glass surface looks like being covered by some kind of oil. I will check if it affects the images. If not then I will not be bothered with it any more.

Regards,

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1327808014' post='15279']

Yes, my pen is the FilterKlear™ LFK-1, and in the instruction it is clearly stated that "Do not use Lenspen® FilterKlear™ on polarizing filters or on wet surfaces." See [url="http://www.lenspen.com/media/FilterKlear_SpecSheet_March2010_Lo.pdf"]the instruction[/url].

Regards,

Frank

[/quote]

That's interesting... I wonder why...

Serkan
[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1328186344' post='15401']

That's interesting... I wonder why...

Serkan

[/quote]

I guess the cleaning compound will smear on the surface of some type of polarizer filters.

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1328191262' post='15406']

I guess the cleaning compound will smear on the surface of some type of polarizer filters.

Frank

[/quote]

.. can be... but I guess there should be no problem if we use the pen dry, right?