4x 1:2 f=55mm

AND

ultra micro nikkor

10x 1:1.8 f=28mm

I need advice on how to use them:

possible camera options?

what sort of shooting can be done?

what sort of problems to expect?

I currently use digital so this is a challenging project for me.

Any help is strongly appreciated.

Thank you.
You have the same 2 ultra micro nikkors I have.

Which camera do you have currently?

Both lenses have M39 thread, also called LSM (Leica Screw Mount). For "normal" M39 lenses, the flange distance (distance from mount "flange" to film/sensor) is 28.8mm. This distance makes the lens operate as designed.

However, these two lenses are not designed to be used at 28.8mm flange distance.

According to the documentation the 55mm f2 is designed for a flange distance of 43mm. This will give it a working distance of 21.8cm and a magnification of 1:4. There lays the challenge, to mount it with 43mm flange distance to get the best out of it at its designed 1:4 magnification (fixed focus lens it is).

Currently I am using this 55mm f2 at about 1:2, on Canon EOS APS-C with a not very thin M39 adapter. A thinner adapter does exist, but 1:4 is impossible because the Canon EF mount flange distance is 44mm already, and you still need an adapter inbetween. 1:3 to 1:3.5 should be possible.

Higher magnifications make the lens operate outside its design, and borders suffer. 1:1 makes for huge field curvature.

Nikon F-mount has an even bigger flange distance of 46.5mm, making at most 1:3 possible with suitably thin M39 adapter.

Sony NEX for instance has a flange distance of 18mm. This also gives possibilities, with for instance a helicoid tube that then would allow you to focus the lens and use it outside its design restrictions (but that will impact its top performance).

21mm helicoid, to give a min. flange distance of 39.8mm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21MM-FOCUS-STROK...1123wt_936

This would give a close up/macro set up when combined with M39 to M42 adapter ring.

7mm helicoid:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-mm-FOCUS-STROK...1175wt_936

This will bring the lens into normal usage (focus to and past infinity, an almost upto 1:4). With M39 to M42 adapter, of course.

The lens has a filter thread of 40.5mm. Reverse mounting it with appropriate reversal and step up rings will give you 4:1 magnification, ideally with a subject distance of about 4cm and a distance from the front of the reversed lens to the sensor of about 22cm.. this then needs bellows too.

The 28mm f1.8 is a different beast. With a flange distance of only 20mm (and working distance of 24.5cm), it can not be used "normally" as 1:10 lens op DSLRs. No idea what image circle it will give on NEX. It usually gets used as 10:1 lens, reverse mounted. Used as such, it gives spectacular sharp 10:1 macro results apparently. Have not used mine that way yet.

Image with the 55mm f2 at about 1:2 (due to thick adapter) on Canon APS-C, at f8:

[Image: gallery_10230_17_41782.jpg]

1:4 will give even sharper results. What I especially like about this lens is its very smooth bokeh (for a 55mm lens).

Flange distances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount