Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regarding the moved lens test threads
They are now moved to their dedicated sections.

We will introduce a direct link from the reviews to those messages.

The idea is the attract more readers for the forum so they can discuss the reviews straight away rather than ending in the review.

Klaus
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1323983464' post='13814']

The idea is the attract more readers for the forum so they can discuss the reviews straight away rather than ending in the review.

Klaus

[/quote]

Hi Klaus,

Could you explain a bit better? I am not getting what you are intending to do. Separating Canon from Nikon form Pentax etc seems very reasonable. Trying to get more people into the forum is something I would welcome. What I would't like is comments I make here in the forum appearing at the bottom of your reviews.

Thanks

Joachim
enjoy
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1323983464' post='13814']

Klaus

[/quote]

Nice idea, but wouldn't one subforum for all lens tests suffice? Now you have this lot of subforums and cannot see which of them contain unread messages.
[quote name='joachim' timestamp='1323984909' post='13815']

Hi Klaus,

Could you explain a bit better? I am not getting what you are intending to do. Separating Canon from Nikon form Pentax etc seems very reasonable. Trying to get more people into the forum is something I would welcome. What I would't like is comments I make here in the forum appearing at the bottom of your reviews.

Thanks

Joachim

[/quote]

The reviews and the forum remain completely separated. We will just add a "Discuss this Review" LINK into the reviews that will lead readers into the forum sections.

The "test sections" are just meant for the test threads only. The free discussions should remain in the generic lens forum. I would expect that we'll see comments on very "old" reviews which are then pushed to the top. I think that's not wanted for the generic forum.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1323985479' post='13817']

Nice idea, but wouldn't one subforum for all lens tests suffice? Now you have this lot of subforums and cannot see which of them contain unread messages.

[/quote]

Those with unread messages carry a green dot (and because the threads have all been moved, they most likely all appear as unread to you now), those without new message have a blue dot.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1323986391' post='13821']

Those with unread messages carry a green dot (and because the threads have all been moved, they most likely all appear as unread to you now), those without new message have a blue dot.

[/quote]

I see. Then I think I might even like it, because I can just ignore the uninteresting systems.
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1323986391' post='13821']

-- Markus

[/quote]

Yep. It looks like a black dot to me here.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1323986567' post='13823']

Yep. It looks like a black dot to me here.

[/quote]

Yep, sorry. Black or dark grey, I first thought it was dark blue (like the text).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Klaus, Markus,

Would you maybe consider moving these test categories to their own category? IOW, make these forums rather than subforums? Maybe make a category "Equipment Tests", or even just move them a level up, and call "Lenses" "Lens discussions" or something like that, and move these to appear below the current "Lenses" forum?

Personally, I think it is a pain now to see what is going on where.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='wim' timestamp='1323997665' post='13826']

Klaus, Markus,

Would you maybe consider moving these test categories to their own category? IOW, make these forums rather than subforums? Maybe make a category "Equipment Tests", or even just move them a level up, and call "Lenses" "Lens discussions" or something like that, and move these to appear below the current "Lenses" forum?

Personally, I think it is a pain now to see what is going on where.

Kind regards, Wim

[/quote]

As of now these forums are "sticky" - you can't post any messages there simply because I believe that there's not a sufficient amount of traffic at this stage. The "Lenses" forum is still meant for open discussions. If this works out the manufacturer-specific forums will be opened up for general use - that would be the gold solution, of course.

I'm clueless whether this is all a good idea. If it doesn't turn out the threads will be migrated back to "Lenses" so there's little to loose.

As already pointed out you can just observe the "dot" at the forum name. If it's green then there's a new message. Black indicates that there's nothing new (assuming that you've marked the forum as "read" - there's a link at the top right where you can do that).