Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant
To be frank, my first judgement was more negative than yours is. I read it on DPReview first: https://www.dpreview.com/news/3902928422...ss-cameras

Now I looked a bit closer. I still remain skeptical against AI and photography, but then: If it's only intelligence and not artificial emotions, it's just putting some hassle away:

Focus stacks and merge it in a RAW - which DSLR has that option as a standard?

HDR or longtime exposure without filters? For that a tripod is needed anyway, no?

Same for star tracks and time-lapses.

I own CamRanger and don't use it, because it's batteries are down in no time, therefore always empty. Big and huge and not even the idea of a hotshoe underneath it's body crossed it's developers mind. And it is far away from an easy, reliable WiFi connection. This one definitely looks much better. And has more features in it I'd be happy to use wither becoming IT or WiFi engineer.

If this device is just an expansion of my already needed settings and puts the camera after a stack shot back to the settings it had before, I would appreciate it. It works with two of my cameras from two manufacturers (Fuji X-E2 and Nikon D810) and especially the Fuji with it's poor interface would benefit so much of the work from somebody who cared more about user experience than Fuji does with their Kaizen updates. These just put more functions into the camera - but the usage of them is as poor as ever.

And about "full auto plus": I think modern multi-metering is also based on some thousands pictures already made before - I could not meter better by myself without an exposure meter. I rely on that and know when I need to make own adjustments. This Arsenal thing is only suggesting - a lot of other stuff I have to do myself: choose FL, point of myself to the subject = perspective, time of the day, light situation.

It's no help in a lot of dynamic situations - but how often I tried to do focus stacks with CamRanger and it just failed because I could look at each of them not before getting home and do the stacks? Or the stack was alright, but the white balance not or something else made my work useless? If I have an idea, is the idea getting better just because I'm able to handle all necessary technical preparations in terms of camera set-up for it as perfect as a robot? Because if not, I can put these into the "responsibility" of a robot.

Are artists creating their visions with the help of 3D stereolithography worse artists than the ones working with chisel and hammer?

Messages In This Thread
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant - by davidmanze - 05-28-2017, 09:44 AM
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant - by JJ_SO - 05-28-2017, 10:08 AM
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant - by davidmanze - 05-28-2017, 10:33 AM
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant - by davidmanze - 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant - by davidmanze - 05-29-2017, 09:52 AM