Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D7000 17-50mm lens show down.
(At events we can not use a flash just a rule so players are not getting light in their face when playing.)

I am in the market for a new lens most of my shooting is low light. I do E-sport events like Street Fighter, MVC3, and etc. I have found the 17-50mm or 55mm to be the best for this. Needs to be able to handle the low light very well and fast at it so i can get the hype moments.

With that said i have got it down to two lenses. The Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM and the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 G ED-IF. Really a bit lost on these two i keep going back to the other. What i have found when looking up is on photozone they score about the same other than the nikkor beating on how well it's build is. On DxOMark both set to the D7000 the Sigma takes the lead at a 16 and the Nikon at a low 13.

Both seem to be about the same speed at AF so that is great.

The Sigma does have OS(IS,VR you know..) the Nikon does not, but there is a lot of talk if it is really needed at f2.8.
Hi

Look at the Tamron 17-55 mm F2.8 (version without VC is the best). Very sharp, fast and 2.8

Patrick
The Sigma is better over all than the Tamron. In contrast, CA, build quality, AF. Only real plus for the Tamron is price.
Sorry i should have added i have used the Tamron, but hate the feeling of the zoom ring way to stiff overall a bad feeling for me. I would not like to shoot all day on something i didn't like so i dropped it from the pick of lenses.