Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UWA for D700
Hello Klaus/Markus (and all the other knowledgable readers), I need a UWA prime for architecture, landscapes, etc for my D700 and hesitate between the Nikon 20, the Samyang 14 and the Zeiss 21, considering price and IQ, colour rendition, etc. Would you also consider the Sigma equivalents? What is your best advice please?
Not a pirime but I have a mint 16-35mm f4 I could part with.
[quote name='Studor13' timestamp='1322239794' post='13236']

Not a pirime but I have a mint 16-35mm f4 I could part with.

[/quote]

Not [url="http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/1519-the-cost-of-lens-repair/page__pid__13231#entry13231"]this[/url] one..?!!

;-)
The Samyang is an instant no because of the big distortion. Even a DX Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 will make more sense for architecture on your D700 (makes a neat 16mm f2.8 prime).

The Zeiss you mention is a much nicer lens than the Nikon (20mm f2.8). Heavy and big, though. The Nikon is not too bad though. I would consider the Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 SL II, super compact, nice build, and very decent optics.
Thanks BC for constructive advice. There are heavy distortion figures, but unbelievably strong resolution all through the range for the Samyang. Quite nice for lanscapes and though and the distortion can be corrected I guess.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1322239156' post='13235']

Hello Klaus/Markus (and all the other knowledgable readers), I need a UWA prime for architecture, landscapes, etc for my D700 and hesitate between the Nikon 20, the Samyang 14 and the Zeiss 21, considering price and IQ, colour rendition, etc. Would you also consider the Sigma equivalents? What is your best advice please?

[/quote]

I'm very happy with the Samyang 14mm + PTLens combo

A few samples on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ephankim/tags/14mm/
Hi VL,

Why do you specifically need a prime? Just wondering...

About the best you can get, is the 14-24 UWA zoom from Nikon. It is large and heavy, of course, and expensive, but flexible, and there is a filter solution available for it if that is what would be stopping you.

As to the Samyang, AFAIK, it has plain barrel distortion, so can be corrected, although that would mean a loss of some resolution (especially as distortion is quite high).

Since you don't seem to mind MF, you could also consider an older Olympus Zuiko 21 mm with adapter - they are not only tiny, but considered to be amongst the best. Assuming of course they are mountable on Nikon whilst retaining infinity focus.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
There is PTLens for distortions.
[quote name='Alexander ' timestamp='1322273028' post='13251']

There is PTLens for distortions.

[/quote]

To me relying on stuff like PTLens is a bit strange. Especially when you have to use it for every image. I rather have a lens with little distortion. You can not "correct" for straight lines without losing resolution, and without losing sharpness. The sharpness part worries me less than the the resolution part.

I only would consider a Samyang 14mm if I was looking for something THAT wide. But something that wide is not ideal for architecture, as it will distort the edges a lot anyway.

I think the 24mm and 20/21mm lenses make more sense.
Hi VL,

I have the Nikon 20mm and I can say that it's an average lens in terms of resolution and color rendition. But very compact and does it's job for street use. I could use a bit more magnification ratio and less vignetting at wide open... And for landscapes, I'd rather use the 16mm of my Tokina 11-16 (with reservations for further croping in post process of course).

And now that I saw some samples from Wim's suggestion (Zuiko 21mm, the F/2 version), I will check the second hand of it as soon as possible (if I can find one). First impression was a quick negative concerning the bokeh. I saw some samples with really harsh bokeh. But despite it's compactness, the edge to egde sharpness on FF when stopped down is very impressive. But I did not came up with close-ups to evaluate the magnification and resolution.

I did not use Zeiss 21 nor the Nikon 17-35, but people who like landscape and close up photography say a lot positive for Zeiss 21mm because of it's resolution capabilities, color rendition, higher magnification and bokeh. This makes it a serious candidate I guess... But the mustache style distortion should maybe checked for architecture photography usage. And the Nikon at 21mm is said to have almost the same characteristics. I think what makes difference for Zeiss is the color rendition, bokeh and BQ, where OTOH we can count AF and a very usable zoom range for the Nikon... Hard to choose, if you don't limit the expectations...

Serkan