Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of Noob Confusion... Help!
Hi everyone. I've signed up for this forum and have crept through it looking for help on what sort of camera I will soon purchase. The EVIL or MILC cameras have caught my attention recently due to there compact size and often excellent photo capabilities. The three I have read up on and like are the Nikon V1 for its auto focus capabilities, The Sony NEX-5N for its compact size and ISO sensitivity, and third the Olympus PEN E-PL3 for all around specs and pricing. I like to shoot landscapes and moving targets such as sports and especially animals. But don't want to have a large heavy DSLR to lug around as I backpack around a lot. What would everyone recommend and any imput into my decsion would be greatly appreciated. I seriously know very very little about cameras and as a very busy student has had little time to research into the technology.

thanks so much

-wallace
[quote name='osbain' timestamp='1322151581' post='13215']

Hi everyone. I've signed up for this forum and have crept through it looking for help on what sort of camera I will soon purchase. The EVIL or MILC cameras have caught my attention recently due to there compact size and often excellent photo capabilities. The three I have read up on and like are the Nikon V1 for its auto focus capabilities, The Sony NEX-5N for its compact size and ISO sensitivity, and third the Olympus PEN E-PL3 for all around specs and pricing. I like to shoot landscapes and moving targets such as sports and especially animals. But don't want to have a large heavy DSLR to lug around as I backpack around a lot. What would everyone recommend and any imput into my decsion would be greatly appreciated. I seriously know very very little about cameras and as a very busy student has had little time to research into the technology.

thanks so much

-wallace

[/quote]

Well, I'd say that Nikon has the best AF at this stage and the V1 has a viewfinder which is certainly nice. However, high ISO is an issue and the system is rather limited. It is also fairly big relative to its small sensor size.

Just like for Sony NEX there's only one tele zoom lens. The "super-zoom" is also very big in both systems.

If you can live without viewfinder the upcoming Panasonic GX-1 with X 14-42 may be something for you case. It doesn't get much smaller than that and the Panasonic AF is also very fast. And there're lots of tele zoom lenses to choose from. If you require a viewfinder you could consider the GH-2.
You want something that does not exist, really.

Landscapes, you can do with whatever you buy.

Animals... if you mean wild life, and want more than just snapshots, you will need to consider a DSLR.

Sports, fast moving sports, a compact DSLR with a 70-200mm lens for moderate distances would be needed. Sports from greater distances longer lenses. Indoor sports, maybe a Canon 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2.

The Sony Nex series does not have the fast tracking ability to make it a suitable sports camera. The micro 4/3rds are so-so for sports. The AF from the Nikon 1 would probably be fastest in tracking for sports.

Depends on how serious you really are about the different subjects, I guess.
I've been seriously wondering about the Nikon 1 as a 2nd system for wildlife in addition to a DSLR. But particularly focusing on captive wildlife. I think the smaller lenses can help work around fence obstruction problems there. But only if the AF is up to it, and they need a longer lens to help out too. A 200mm (actual) zoom would probably be enough to make me bite.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
[quote name='osbain' timestamp='1322151581' post='13215']

thanks so much

-wallace

[/quote]

Dear Wallace, just buy a camera and take some pictures. Any camera on the market today will be good enough for the pictures you are taking.