Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK
Quote:If you have something written officially from Nikon JoJu, about transferable warranties, please post a link on this thread, I'm sure it will interest many, there seems to be a general belief right or wrong about Nikon's stance on this point.

The situation seems to be variable as to your location in the world:

I do have a mail from Nikon Switzerland - but as you said, it might be different from country to country. So, if Nikon France cares about the reasons of Nikon Switzerland...? And even if so - my mail is about 2 or 3 years old, and business behaviors might change as Nikon is not exactly bleeding money.

In Nikon rumors there should also be a couple of threads about warranty issues. So, in that aspect it was also wrong from me to call your informations wrong, sorry for this general statement.
Abandoned the ebay guy. Found somewhere else. HK based with Dundee office. The price is about 30% off the best UK online price that I've found. I get almost instant email replies from them that actually answer the questions that I ask. They've been around ages and have great trustpilot reviews. Dundee for sending anything back to under warranty. Comfort level is pretty good with this one! CameraInThePost if anyone is interested

In USA nikon and mamiya  is hte absolute worse when it comes to grey warranty. The rumour is they will do their best to not service grey items (even if you are willing to pay for it). I can't vouch for today but Canon used to be extremely good with items honoring international warranties. There was a rumour this was or had changed but I stopped using canon equipment so not sure of current policy. Can't comment on panasonic. I can say from first hand I was very happy with both canon and olympus consumer support though I used olympus just before they closed the nj office. No clue if the new repair center is as good.

Quote:I do have a mail from Nikon Switzerland - but as you said, it might be different from country to country. So, if Nikon France cares about the reasons of Nikon Switzerland...? And even if so - my mail is about 2 or 3 years old, and business behaviors might change as Nikon is not exactly bleeding money.

In Nikon rumors there should also be a couple of threads about warranty issues. So, in that aspect it was also wrong from me to call your informations wrong, sorry for this general statement.
Quote:Abandoned the ebay guy. Found somewhere else. HK based with Dundee office. The price is about 30% off the best UK online price that I've found. I get almost instant email replies from them that actually answer the questions that I ask. They've been around ages and have great trustpilot reviews. Dundee for sending anything back to under warranty. Comfort level is pretty good with this one! CameraInThePost if anyone is interested
Most of these grey market companies are very good with keeping you up to date with emails etc.  ....glad you found a good price on your lens.......test it for de-centering as soon as you get it.........normally you've 14 days!
thanks dave.  order made. arrive hopefully within 8 days, but more hopefully as a good copy! thanks for the de-centering heads up. i'd not even heard of that before, but after research it looks pretty easy to test (zeiss star/manual defocus and all that).

There are various ways of testing for de-centering, the easiest real world test is on a distant tree line (infinity focus) at the  top, middle and bottom of the image at full aperture (three shots), both sides should be equally sharp.........infinity focus 

...........good luck!