Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic Raw, native conversion?
Hi all,

is there a way to have a native conversion of Raw files from a Panasonic GF3 so that I get exactly the same as with an in-camera JPEG? I.e, like using DPP for Canon or ViewNX/CaptureNX for Nikon. The results from the supplied Silkypix obviously differ from the in-camera JPEGs.

Thanks for your help.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1321271054' post='12911']

Hi all,

is there a way to have a native conversion of Raw files from a Panasonic GF3 so that I get exactly the same as with an in-camera JPEG? I.e, like using DPP for Canon or ViewNX/CaptureNX for Nikon. The results from the supplied Silkypix obviously differ from the in-camera JPEGs.

Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

No idea. But what is the point ? After all the idea of RAW conversion is to get better results ...
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1321273597' post='12914']

No idea. But what is the point ? After all the idea of RAW conversion is to get better results ...

[/quote]

The point is that the straight JPEGs are very good most of the time. Lightroom overexposes by ~1/3 systematically and I have to tune the colors quite a bit, too. I will shoot Raw+JPEG from now on, but I wish I could batch convert the photos I shot in Raw only.

I am used to Nikon cameras, where any Raw converter yields better results than the straight JPEGs. But now I really like the look of the Panasonic JPEGs and wish I could easily reproduce it in Raw conversion.
Amazing, most don´t rate Pana Jpegs highly while Oly Jpegs are praised. Anyhow, I shoot only Raw with my Panas (GF1, LX5) and haven´t noticed the overexposure with ACR. I rarely practise ETTR though. Which cam are you using?
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1321276513' post='12916']

Amazing, most don´t rate Pana Jpegs highly while Oly Jpegs are praised. Anyhow, I shoot only Raw with my Panas (GF1, LX5) and haven´t noticed the overexposure with ACR. I rarely practise ETTR though. Which cam are you using?

[/quote]

The GF3. Googling around I found reports that confirm the Lightroom overexposure problem. I will try the new Lightroom 3.6RC tonight; maybe they fixed it.
My only suggestion is to make a capture in raw and jpeg in camera. Open the jpeg into photoshop and the raw into your raw convertor. Adjust the raw to match the jpeg as closely as possible, save the settings as a preset and apply this preset to all of your raw files.

I know that Adobe addressed this situation with Canon files in respect to DPP. Camera Profiles are available for Adobe Camera Raw that simulate the different in camera shooting modes (neutral, Faithful etc). These Camera profiles generate a look in ACR that comes pretty close to the look achieved either in DPP, or with the jpeg processing done in-camera.

Perhaps Adobe has done the same for your camera.
[quote name='Bryan Conner' timestamp='1321357888' post='12944']

My only suggestion is to make a capture in raw and jpeg in camera. Open the jpeg into photoshop and the raw into your raw convertor. Adjust the raw to match the jpeg as closely as possible, save the settings as a preset and apply this preset to all of your raw files.

I know that Adobe addressed this situation with Canon files in respect to DPP. Camera Profiles are available for Adobe Camera Raw that simulate the different in camera shooting modes (neutral, Faithful etc). These Camera profiles generate a look in ACR that comes pretty close to the look achieved either in DPP, or with the jpeg processing done in-camera.

Perhaps Adobe has done the same for your camera.

[/quote]

Thank you. I will look for these settings. Also I still did not have the time to look into version 3.6RC of Lightroom.

I found, however, that Capture One's default conversion reproduces the JPEGs very nicely, so I use this for the moment.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1321358860' post='12946']

Thank you. I will look for these settings. Also I still did not have the time to look into version 3.6RC of Lightroom.

I found, however, that Capture One's default conversion reproduces the JPEGs very nicely, so I use this for the moment.

[/quote]

Yes, C1 is probably the best RAW converter out there at the moment.