Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 "C" for testing now
SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 lens!!

Another bombshell G2 lens?  Go on Tamron do your stuff!!

Quote:SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 lens!!

Another bombshell G2 lens?  Go on Tamron do your stuff!!

We'll, of course, test this one. However, while exceptions apply I'm not overly impressed by what Tamron is doing.

Quote:Well, you can't test such a lens in a lab ... 

You should hire a street artist and have a lens target painted on a wall at the proper distance from your lab...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:We'll, of course, test this one. However, while exceptions apply I'm not overly impressed by what Tamron is doing.

Needless to say I am, especially impressed by the equivalent to the C your testing, the "A022 G2". 

However, looking at the zone list there isn't one of the new  G2 series lenses so far tested.......(soon to be)

Reviews are coming from all directions that the 10-20mm G2,  35mm + 45mm + 90 mm macro and all reports state good build, great AF sharpness, VC  + of course the Tapin USB dock.

............maybe what wins me over the most is, the accurate AF and the VC which is missing from Sigma's range...

......Sigma have now established itself a solidly poor reputation in the consistent  AF department, almost across the board with their Art series!

Prove me wrong by testing the A0022 G2........................... it out-classes the "C"!

The 150-600mm G2 is 40% more expensive than the "C" ...

One reason why I don't like Tamrons is their miserable resale value making it very expensive to test them. e.g. We had a 50% when selling the 35mm f/1.8 SP. A used banana sells for more.

Quote:We'll, of course, test this one. However, while exceptions apply I'm not overly impressed by what Tamron is doing.
The 35/45/85mm f/1.8 lenses all look tasty. Ditto most of the new zooms, especially the 15-30. If I ever get around to stocking on fast primes beyond the 24/1.4 that I already have, it'd be the Tamrons (45 and 85). The new 10-24 VC looks interesting as well.

Not sure what your gripe with these is...

Ack, I can't paste a quote into an already existing post without it getting messed up, and I'm unable to post text below it... so excuse the double post.

Quote:One reason why I don't like Tamrons is their miserable resale value making it very expensive to test them. e.g. We had a 50% when selling the 35mm f/1.8 SP. A used banana sells for more.
I think that'll soon change, same as with the Sigma since the Global Vision came along. It's a lot better now because the Arts are in high demand. The kit junk, of course, is never going to fare well in this regard. I think the mass market isn't quite understanding the drift just yet regarding the (truly) new Tamron offerings...

Quote:The 150-600mm G2 is 40% more expensive than the "C" ...

One reason why I don't like Tamrons is their miserable resale value making it very expensive to test them. e.g. We had a 50% when selling the 35mm f/1.8 SP. A used banana sells for more.
The C is 810 euros.......G2 1009  euros (both grey)  in my book that's 200 euros extra well spent!  Sold my G1 for 650 euros a loss of 280 euros so for one year and a bit of use, not so bad!

As for the bananas my guess is it depends on who used it!........ I certainly would get much for any bananas I use!

Maybe you have a certain "je ne sais quoi" with your bananas!   Tongue   However spare me the details.... :blink:
I'm just reporting the resale experience with the 35mm SP. I didn't create the market situation.

The question is, for instance, why one should buy a 35mm f/1.8 SP given the situation that the Canon 35mm f/2 is 1/3 cheaper.

These SP primes are all very expensive relative to their specs - and way too close to the f/1.4 Sigma ARTs.

700EUR for the 45mm f/1.8 VC - that's just nuts - sorry to say that.

The 85mm f/1.4 VC costs 800EUR vs 500EUR for the new Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 - the Nikkor has no VC but I'd say that this is hardly an argument for most Nikon users when they have the choice between Nikon and something third-party. It's even more extreme over at Canon (but that 85mm is ancient).

The 150-600mm G2 is reasonably priced, I'm not so sure about the 70-200mm G2.

Who buys the 10-24mm VC for essentially the same price like the Sigma 8-16mm ?

Honestly I understand why the resale value is so low because otherwise the pricing doesn't make much sense.

Dave, you and your grey sources...  Rolleyes In None-grey Klaus is right, difference in CH is also around 35%.

But I feel I got enough for it: The collar is great, the Arca rail comes for free. Sigma Contemporary: Additional rail needed, hurts when carrying. Probably better sealing, but I let others step forward to find out about that. The zoom lock at any position is outstanding and very useful. Even better than the Sigma Sports version in this aspect.

As for the other f/1.8 lenses: They are pretty close to the Sigma cousins in terms of performance, but due to the aperture lighter - or am I wrong about that?