Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A77 in depth review
I find the review interesting reading! DPR do a good job of looking at both negatives and positives;

[url="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/"]http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/[/url]
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1319648064' post='12501']

I find the review interesting reading! DPR do a good job of looking at both negatives and positives;

[url="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/"]http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/[/url]

[/quote]

For me, the big disappointment (...as expected) is the high iso performance. As was said before, the 24mpx on APS-C sensor simply degrades the IQ on higher ISOs too much to my taste.

Another disappointment is the continous AF performance (focus tracking).... Well, I expected more considering the fact that the AF sensor is receiving light all the time without being interrupted by the mirror movement.

Of course the biggest Achilles´ heel with Sony´s DSLRs is the lack of class leading lenses... but that is another story of course.
Nice review, Dpreview is improving lately, it seems. I think their "real underexposed" scene to highlight high iso noise is interesting and it was nice to note the actual difference with the NEX-7. At the NEX-7 level and the fact that DR seems to remain quite high, it seems to me these 24 mpixel aren't such a big issue after all?

[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1319657503' post='12503']

For me, the big disappointment (...as expected) is the high iso performance. As was said before, the 24mpx on APS-C sensor simply degrades the IQ on higher ISOs too much to my taste.

Another disappointment is the continous AF performance (focus tracking).... Well, I expected more considering the fact that the AF sensor is receiving light all the time without being interrupted by the mirror movement.

Of course the biggest Achilles´ heel with Sony´s DSLRs is the lack of class leading lenses... but that is another story of course.

[/quote]
[quote name='Sylvain' timestamp='1319661607' post='12504']

Nice review, Dpreview is improving lately, it seems. I think their "real underexposed" scene to highlight high iso noise is interesting and it was nice to note the actual difference with the NEX-7. At the NEX-7 level and the fact that DR seems to remain quite high, it seems to me these 24 mpixel aren't such a big issue after all?

[/quote]

Maybe Sony is giving NEX much more focus. The NEX-7 is selling much better than the A-77, so the priority could be better midrange lenses and pancakes. The 50 mm is a good start. Maybe three lens lines: quality, pancake and small zooms. Maybe later faster zooms. Quality means fixed lenses with very good optical properties with the size of the zoom kit. The price should be around 300 to 800 euros. Pancakes should much smaller, like the 16 mm. The optical flaws could be fixed by software. The zooms should be also not so large, maybe power zooms. 3-5 lenses in every lineup should be enough for a start. Later maybe fast high end lenses

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I think the A-77 will be the turning point for Sony to the Nex. Not that the SLTs will not find their markets but this markets will shrink because the AF of the NEX will be getting much better in some years. Nex is the market where Sony can grow much faster.
[quote name='Marco' timestamp='1319666027' post='12505']

The NEX-7 is selling much better than the A-77[/quote]

Can you back this up with a link?
I especially appreciate the comparison between the NEX7 and the A77. Not only that the Hi-ISO performance of the A77 is an (expected, regarding the resolution) disappointment. It is now obvious by comparing the same sensor in two different systems of the same manufacturer that the translucent mirror does have an effect on light gathering capabilities that is not to be overseen. I mean, besides the fact that I would always go for the better ISO performing camera even when having to accept a lower resolution, I would simply be annoyed to spend 1000$ more for getting from 85/1.8 to 85/1.4 just to see 75% of the increase in light capture to be absorbed by a device that is otherwise simply flipped out of the way. This is not a problem for daylight photography and therefore is negligible for a large consumer group thats making snapshots on holidays or outdoors in general. But for AL photography, which is very important for me personally, it is.

Outdoors, I'm shooting film since a few month, and it has been tricky at times with few lights to cope with the ISO 50 of the Velvia, so even there I would have had problems with additional light loss. But this is certainly a different story.

Christian
to A77 vs. NEX-7.... Yes, I agree the NEX-7 may be a good alternative to A-77. For me, there would be two serious minuses with the NEX line, thought: 1) lack of lenses (esp. the fast, hight-quality ones) 2) only contrast detect AF even in the NEX-7.... = zero-to-nothing AF tracking capabilitites
[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1319705353' post='12511']

to A77 vs. NEX-7.... Yes, I agree the NEX-7 may be a good alternative to A-77. For me, there would be two serious minuses with the NEX line, thought: 1) lack of lenses (esp. the fast, hight-quality ones) 2) only contrast detect AF even in the NEX-7.... = zero-to-nothing AF tracking capabilitites

[/quote]

While the A77 is not all that impressive in high ISO compared to the Canon 60D/7D and Nikon D7000 (and Pentax K5), it still does quite a good job... compared to cameras 2 generations ago (like my EOS 450D).

When is good enough good enough?

WHat is the biggest let down to me is its so so AF system. It can't AF during its high speed mode. Its AF tracking can't keep up with even my 450D (let alone the 7D and D7000). It can't close aperture during its high FPS modes. It can't show live view feed during its high FPS modes.

Besides it's AF tracking problems they all result from that silly SLT. All broken to fix what was never broken (wanting continuous AF in video mode.. yuck!).

And then the loss of OVF... YUCK. No EVF for me. Also a result of the SLT decision.

Nice camera in areas... But in no way would I consider it. No EVF for me, thanks. Sure. for compact digitals, yes. But not as serious photography equipment.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1319709299' post='12515']

But in no way would I consider it. No EVF for me, thanks. Sure. for compact digitals, yes. But not as serious photography equipment.

[/quote]

Harsh words ... have you ever looked through a modern EVF, especially the Sony one?

I certainly prefer optical viewfinders myself, but EVFs have improved considerably over the recent years.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1319709299' post='12515']

While the A77 is not all that impressive in high ISO compared to the Canon 60D/7D and Nikon D7000 (and Pentax K5), it still does quite a good job... compared to cameras 2 generations ago (like my EOS 450D).

When is good enough good enough?

[/quote]

This is ISO800 picture from dpreview.com gallery... i.e. higher iso usage as should be (showing the "great" ISO performance of brigh light scenes is useless, as you certainly know...)

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3...2nftNVY%3d

Yes, I know I´m inspecting the 100% of 24mpx image but still - just note the "per-pixel details/sharpness", the noise and the noise pattern.... Quite a good job??? Excuse me but I still believe my eyes - such IQ simply SUCKS big time and no marketing power will persuade me othwewise.

Sony puts enormous effort in various hi-tech solutions, staggering features etc. which would attract them the not-very-experienced photographers but it seems to me that the essentials - the plain image quality - is not that important for Sony. I think most of the experienced semi-pro will go Canon or Nikon in the end for this reason.