Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF VR (FX)
Big Grin

Well, JoJu... some day, I might. But there's way more important work to be done in the DX review section than the PF Nikkor Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Aaah, was searching only in FF.

So, Markus, you will test it on APS-C... oooh, had no idea how fast you could run  Big Grin impressive.
Don't send him back under the table, last time it took several years to winkle him out again  Tongue

Actually the older AF-S 300mm F4 lens is a goodie and can be found for €800, no real flare issues either.....not so sure about purple fringing though! 

Oh and of course it's metal..........nice!

But the tripod collar is even worse... it's the same design used on the AF-D 80-400 VR.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

The Canon 400mm f4 DO II, with its new DO elements innovation, does not show similar flare issues:

http://www.pcmag.com/review/351081/canon...-is-ii-usm

Quote:Oh and of course it's metal..........nice!

So, you're offering yourself as a sherpa? Kind move.

Quote:But the tripod collar is even worse... it's the same design used on the AF-D 80-400 VR.

-- Markus

Yeah, and because it's a heavy device, one need a collar...

But still, using it on a, say, Fuji with a adaptor the old version has the advantage of a mechanical aperture. While the new China toy comes with an electronically driven aperture.

Quote:Yeah, and because it's a heavy device, one need a collar...
Yes... I remember using that lens once, and that copy had a Kirk or RRS collar. Very solid construction that supported the lens both in the front and back. But also quite huge, of course. And ugly, too Wink

I do have an AF-S 300 in the lab, btw... just not the AF-S 300/4 Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Don't send him back under the table, last time it took several years to winkle him out again  Tongue

Actually the older AF-S 300mm F4 lens is a goodie and can be found for €800, no real flare issues either.....not so sure about purple fringing though! 

Oh and of course it's metal..........nice!
 I have this lens...the AF-S 300 F4D. I was testing it on my new D7200 tonight. It is excellent and purple fringing is no problem at all.

It is heavy and very solid...and I cannot fault it's optical quality. It focuses fairly quickly too. I bought it because I find none of the Nikon 70-300 zooms acceptable...so I ended up with the 300 and the 70-200 F4 ED VR which is just fantastic for a zoom to me.

The 70-200 lives on my D500 and a 24-70 f2.8G ED is the default lens for the 7200. I find it's quality to be merely acceptable but

it is nice to have the flexibility in that range of focal lengths.

I would never get the new fresnel 300...I fully understand the appeal of the low weight...however the compromises are not acceptable to me. I think the old version is better all round...except for weight!!!