Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test
I've absolutely hated using 5DSR.

-Resolution is good but out of all the (architectural photography) assignments I've used it on, the only time I found the extra resolution to be helpful was when I was retouching the photos. Nobody else even saw 20MP files out of those sessions. 2560x1440 or so was the best that came out since nothing got printed and most images were only used on web.

-Out of camera color is simply useless. Even some images that I know that would've been fine on other cameras came out awful thanks to Canon's amazing white balance and color tones, especially in reds.

-Dynamic range and color depth is lacking for a camera that came out rather recently and sells for that much. Honestly, Sony's almost 6 year old full frame 24MP sensor is clearly and noticably ahead in everything apart from resolution. This is not even funny.

-Let that sink in. Every single time you don't need 50MP over 24MP, you are with a sensor that is performing noticably worse to pretty much any non-Canon camera that came out in the past 5-6 years.

Apart from the questionable results, the actual usage experience is even worse.

-If you are using it in Live View, 5DSR is one of the worst cameras to have. 

-It will wake up in mirrored mode everytime it goes to power saving mode. It will power on to mirrored mode every single time you turn it off and back on. It simply doesn't like being in Live View mode.

-To magnify the focus point, check for focus in live view and going back to the full image requires pressing several keys in different positions so you have to move your hand around and possibly even bring a second hand.

-No moving LCD screen.

-Every other aspect of using it is pretty meh; including the AF, metering, continous shooting, viewfinder itself etc. Nothing really stands out as brilliant, apart from having C1/C2/C3 custom camera modes.

In general, Canon paid no attention to who would want to use this camera in what scenario and simply put a 50MP sensor into their 5Dm3 body, which is a few simple evolutionary steps ahead of their 20D APS-C body from a decade ago, which is based on even older ergonomics and choices. And this is the proof that people will buy anything as long as it says Canon on it and give no attention to what is happening in non-Canon land as this practice lowers one's expectations to pretty much zero.

I hate 5DSR with a passion. It is everything that is wrong with Canon. 

Messages In This Thread
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by miro - 01-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by davidmanze - 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by miro - 01-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by obican - 01-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by miro - 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by davidmanze - 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test - by davidmanze - 01-26-2018, 01:56 PM