Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 5Dsr vs 5D3 vs 7Dmk2 vs 750D real life test
We went on a two days trip with our cameras for a 2 days photography trip, those were 2 great days, we were all sharing our gear, we had 5Dsr 5D3 750D 7Dmkii plus film bodies.

Lenses we had Canon rokinon 8mmf3.5 fisheye, Canon 10-18f4.5-5.6 canon 15-85, canon 16-35f4 IS canon 17-55 f2.8 voigtlander color skopar 20mmf3.5, canon 24-105 f4L x2 canon 28-105f3.5-4.5, canon 35mmf2.0IS, canon 50mmf1.4, canon 85mmf1.2 mkii, canon 100mm macro IS and Canon 70-300 IS

Plus flashes and reflectors, so we were very well equipped.

My impressions: For tripod long exposure photography all of them did very well, 750D plus 10-18 however was by far lighter and it was the only camera we dared use with a low viewpoint tripod inside the water, would you use 5Dsr 40cm above water in the sea in winter ??? The tilting screen was of big help also.

Once it became really dark, live view on 750D was totally black, 7Dmkii was still running normally with possibility of manual focus as well as 5Dsr.

The end result all did well however 5Dsr was resolution king downsized to 20MP it blew everything out for noise and details.

Next day shooting in bright sunshine, we were doing portraiture, 7Dmkii was the speed king, also it didn't have the least problem tracking, however once again 5Dsr resolved an unimaginable quantity of details.

We did also some portraits inside a church where lighting wasn't as good, here crop bodies easily lagged, 5Ds was far ahead of 7D at ISO 3200 and 6400, downsized to 20MP 5Dsr was still king.

So after working and checking 40GB or RAW files, and working with four bodies, I can say, 5Dsr is an extraordinary landscape and studio camera, had it the speed it would be an overkill, it's interesting though to have on you a cheap body with acceptable performance in case you wanna shoot in risky situations, the best sunset photos were actually taken with 750D since no one dared put his camera in saltwater danger
I have learned one tip from forum member "backcountryskier"

Attach plastic bags on your lens and cammera body. It tirned my 400d and sigma10-20 to one of the most watterproof SLR camera and lens on the earth :=)   

PS Salt water and sand has only once  damaged my UV filter

What plastic backs?

plastic bags
Quote:  What plastic backs?
Sorry, typo error 

I mean this - 120 pcs for 55cents

https://www.voordeelmuis.nl/img/jpg/1937/1937649.jpg

and rubber bands 100pcs under 1euro

https://www.vikingdirect.nl/nl/p/980496?...lsrc=aw.ds

This solution is better waterproof than any Pro body and L lens :=) <_<

From therory to practice - Example image taken in sandstorm

http://forum.opticallimits.com/index.php...nostalgia/

I've absolutely hated using 5DSR.

-Resolution is good but out of all the (architectural photography) assignments I've used it on, the only time I found the extra resolution to be helpful was when I was retouching the photos. Nobody else even saw 20MP files out of those sessions. 2560x1440 or so was the best that came out since nothing got printed and most images were only used on web.

-Out of camera color is simply useless. Even some images that I know that would've been fine on other cameras came out awful thanks to Canon's amazing white balance and color tones, especially in reds.

-Dynamic range and color depth is lacking for a camera that came out rather recently and sells for that much. Honestly, Sony's almost 6 year old full frame 24MP sensor is clearly and noticably ahead in everything apart from resolution. This is not even funny.

-Let that sink in. Every single time you don't need 50MP over 24MP, you are with a sensor that is performing noticably worse to pretty much any non-Canon camera that came out in the past 5-6 years.

Apart from the questionable results, the actual usage experience is even worse.

-If you are using it in Live View, 5DSR is one of the worst cameras to have. 

-It will wake up in mirrored mode everytime it goes to power saving mode. It will power on to mirrored mode every single time you turn it off and back on. It simply doesn't like being in Live View mode.

-To magnify the focus point, check for focus in live view and going back to the full image requires pressing several keys in different positions so you have to move your hand around and possibly even bring a second hand.

-No moving LCD screen.

-Every other aspect of using it is pretty meh; including the AF, metering, continous shooting, viewfinder itself etc. Nothing really stands out as brilliant, apart from having C1/C2/C3 custom camera modes.

In general, Canon paid no attention to who would want to use this camera in what scenario and simply put a 50MP sensor into their 5Dm3 body, which is a few simple evolutionary steps ahead of their 20D APS-C body from a decade ago, which is based on even older ergonomics and choices. And this is the proof that people will buy anything as long as it says Canon on it and give no attention to what is happening in non-Canon land as this practice lowers one's expectations to pretty much zero.

I hate 5DSR with a passion. It is everything that is wrong with Canon. 

I'd like to throw a D850 towards your direction, carefully, though  Big Grin because I'd be curious how much you'd like it.

No idea. It seems great on paper but even some tiny details can make or break a seemingly great formula. I already don't really like the lack of U1/U2/U3 modes on some Nikons but maybe shooting banks work just fine. 

I reacted the same way when I added a D800 to a D7000. I was used to the D7000's U1/U2. Had a hard time to find out this banks are not meant as a "safe harbour" - but then something changed and I thought 4+4 banks actually offer a lot more options than 2 U settings.

The D7100 and D750 I bought later and I never took the time to set up their U-positions properly. Still, it's very quick with the wheel, but it's much more flexible when I don't have to save a new setting. I can save all settings to a card, but I rarely do so. I changed my opinion about U1/2 vs banks. If I ever needed a DX DSLR-body, I'd opt for a D500. Two different usage concepts are not helpful.

Quote:I'd like to throw a D850 towards your direction, carefully, though  Big Grin because I'd be curious how much you'd like it.
Unfortunately I cannot throw my 12 year old canon 400d to you too.  Sad  I still use it regularly, including my last ski trip.

One more remark my architecture shoots are mostly taken at ISO 100 with “my” IS/VR/OSS turned on. Most photographers call it tripod. It is very effective since most building does not move for at least 50years J