Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony 24mpx DX sensor IQ
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1315239528' post='11316']

Upon further analysis including ISO 3200 files and having RAW Developer noise reduction as well as sharpening completely disabled I tend to conclude that the noise penalty for the higher pixel density is relatively small (downsized and compared to the Canon 7D). It´s clearly more evident at ISO 3200 but that´s already a somewhat extreme territory. The A77 Raw files look reasonably sharp too.

[/quote]

The real test will be to print at same sizes. The higher res. images will make smaller "grain" noise, compensating somewhat the more noisy behavior. Resizing does not totally give the same results.

But this new sensor seems to be in the same ball park more or less as the Sony 16mp and Canon 18mp, I would be happy with it.
New info not seen before. Even in 12 fps mode (with AF) you can still change the ISO and exposure compensation, so all control is not lost to auto exposure in 12 fps with AF.

http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/2011/...tball.html

"The burst mode on the A77 has much more control. And this isn't the final firmware for the camera either. With the new burst mode I get to set the ISO. This is key because I can kick it up to ISO800 on a dull game, control the exposure with the "Exposure Compensation" control, and the lens shoots wide open, which is how I shoot sports anyway"
[quote name='Sathe Wild' timestamp='1315368875' post='11354']

New info not seen before. Even in 12 fps mode (with AF) you can still change the ISO and exposure compensation, so all control is not lost to auto exposure in 12 fps with AF.

[/quote]

Sorry if it sounds silly, but from the descriptions its not obvious to me and I'm not familiar with Sony DSLRs: you're talking about changing settings (ISO, EXC) during the burst?

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1315372727' post='11356']

Sorry if it sounds silly, but from the descriptions its not obvious to me and I'm not familiar with Sony DSLRs: you're talking about changing settings (ISO, EXC) during the burst[/quote]

I can't speak for Sathe, but I think it's obvious that he means before the burst. No-one really cares about changing setting during it (other than manual focus and the zoom which of course are possible).
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1315372727' post='11356']

Sorry if it sounds silly, but from the descriptions its not obvious to me and I'm not familiar with Sony DSLRs: you're talking about changing settings (ISO, EXC) during the burst?

[/quote]

The regular burst mode is 8 fps.

12 fps is a special mode that has some restrictions. On A55 (where 10 fps was special mode), the camera sets aperture to f/3.5 or maximum aperture for slower lenses, with the shutter speed & ISO chosen by the camera accordingly. You could override the defaults with + or - 2 stops exposure compensation. If you wanted control over the aperture in 10 fps mode, you had to turn off AF-C.

I guess the only difference is that A77 allows the user to choose the ISO in 12 fps mode (unlike A55 that didn't)?
Quote:The regular burst mode is 8 fps.

12 fps is a special mode that has some restrictions. On A55 (where 10 fps was special mode), the camera sets aperture to f/3.5 or maximum aperture for slower lenses, with the shutter speed & ISO chosen by the camera accordingly. You could override the defaults with + or - 2 stops exposure compensation. If you wanted control over the aperture in 10 fps mode, you had to turn off AF-C.

I guess the only difference is that A77 allows the user to choose the ISO in 12 fps mode (unlike A55 that didn't)?

Seem all right to me.... With lens like sony 70-300 SSM and 70-400 SSM for me there is no issue until you want to shot at 300 f8 or 400 f8... those lenses are slow and sharp wide open, no need to stop from wide open in 99% of 12 fps shot

With faster lens f3,5 its' a limitation, but you can shot 12 fps with af-c with a 1400$ camera....
A fellow has been posting samples from the nex-5n; and I have to say the dynamic range and colour has been spectacular. I've seen a lot of discussion around the a77/nex-7 noise but how are the other characteristics ?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1041590
Some Samsung NX200 samples.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=ne...ng&no=3006