Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultrawide for Canon FF
I am considering a few options for the wider end. I want good sharpness and IQ across the frame.

My 17-40mm will need to go. I only had it for a weeks 2nd hand. It is a lens with nice colours, good contrast, but frame edges are too problematic. The massive field curvature (i.e. the edges are in focus very close, while centre is in focus a bit further out) and distortion make it even less desirable. It is perfect by f/13 or 16 for those long exposure shots and it is great for shots with some foreground interest leading to even more exciting background. It is however no good at f/4 and not brilliant at f/8. It is not a lens I could use in Norway, at night, in church, etc, etc.

I am afraid I have to rule out getting any of the Canon 16-35mm for the same reason. I have spent enough time reviewing lens charts and sample images to come to this conclusion. Please correct me if I got it wrong. I need sharp corners and if I would be paying that price I would expect it.

This might suggest 24-70mm or similar may need to stay in my bag as they are optically superior to Canon UWAs. I had a bit of problems with 24-70L, hopefully it will come back in good shape from Canon. Alternatives: 28-70L, 24-105 or Tamron 28-75 if not?

Annoyingly Nikon seems to have a much better performing 16-35mm, and 14-24mm (for those who don't care about filters). Am I desperate enough to adapt such lens to Canon? Would it draw me over to Nikon system; and I can't afford D3X!

Then there is Tokina 16-28mm, again no filter thread. Tokina 17-35mm f/4 is coming shortly and I probably going to put my money there. 12-24mm was excellent, and it is a shame I got rid of it. It worked pretty well between 18-24mm (some issues stacking multiple filters, but crazy and consistent sharpness). So should I wait for 17-35 or get another 12-24 for the time being? 82mm thread will take some effort to swallow though. There go my ND 10, cpl and lee adapter.

Apart from that there are the hugely expensive but good 24mm f/1.4 L II, 24mm TSE and 17mm TSE (no filters!). I'd say I'd want 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II in my bag first. They all seem to be near-perfect.

Other good MF glass seems to include Leica R 19mm, 24mm, 21-35mm, Zeiss 18mm, 21mm and 28mm, Olympus OM 21mm and 24mm (only this one seems to be cheap enough)

Finally, Samyang is starting to look very promising. 14mm f/2.8 (no filters, fully manual) gets brilliant reviews and at that price it will be an offense not to get one. 35mm f/1.4 also looks brilliant. I would love for them to release 24mm f/1.4 and 24mm TSE which I would be also getting if priced similarly.

Any views, comments or ideas? Please share.
The Samyang 14mm and Zeiss 18/21mm are surely excellent if MF is good enough for you. Hands off the Zeiss 28mm due to FC.

Samyang has actually just announced a 24/1.4 ... to be delivered in Q1 2012.

FWIW, I just received the Sigma 12-24 II for testing. The review should be up (late) next week or so.

The Tokina 17-35/4 should be interesting - agreed.

The 24-70L doesn't really impress me but then there're no better alternatives.

I don't care anymore for filters but that's a personal thing.

cheers

Klaus
For a full frame sensored body: 17mm TS-E, Zeiss 21mm, Tokina 16-28mm or the new Sigma 12-24mm II...

And if I were you, I would rather focus on the corners/edges instead of the filter availibility. But if you insist on filters and the AOV is ok, the Zeiss 21 can be the choice: Sharp from center to edge, nice colors, higher rep.ratio and shorther MF distance.

Serkan
Thanks for replies so far and keep them coming...

corner to corner sharpness and filters are equally important to me. I shoot many landscapes, and need my 10 stopper and ND grads for most of my shots. portraits and PJ would be a slightly different matter.

[Image: 5800138514_ccf220298a_z.jpg]

Still Clevedon

This wouldn't be possible without the whole stack of filters. Taken with the excellent 70-200mm f/4L.