Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test of the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 24 mm f/4 ED Fisheye ;)
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1312662890' post='10437']

Well, the focal length is the focal length is the focal length. This is a physical spec. I agree that this is meaningless from a user perspective though.

I still keep on wondering why they did it. Olympus manufactured some of the finest lenses around in the FT scope and now they are free floating some abberations which they should be able to master based on their design capabilities. We are not talking about a budget lens here.

[/quote]

In my opinion, it's because of size. A lens with less distortion would be significantly larger and heavier. It would make no sense to use it on a small mFT body. If you are prepared to use large and heavy lenses, you can also go APS-C or even fullframe.

The Sony NEX is affected even more by this problem. Therefore, I am curious to know whether the NEX 7's sensor will use the rumored micro lenses to overcome the problem and, if yes, whether this will work. I believe the sensor of the Leica M9 also uses microlenses for distortion correction?

Messages In This Thread
Test of the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 24 mm f/4 ED Fisheye ;) - by Tiz - 08-06-2011, 08:40 PM