Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question on D700's Live View Mode
I assigned the Func button to LV tripod mode so that I can use LV to take landscape with self-timing on. It is simple to turn on LV: just push the Func button then the mirror is up and LV is on. I thought that after focusing, pressing the shutter down will take a picture without motion of the mirror---this would be good since mirror shaking is avoided automatically. But when I take pictures this way I notice that the view finder brightens twice. The second brightening is "normal" since after taking the picture the mirror goes down so that you can review the picture you took on the LCD. But I don't understand the first "brightening" which appears to occur just before (?) the shutter curtain is openned up. I also hear double click sounds when or just before the picture is taken, which seems to indicate that the mirror gets down and up again. If this is true, then I don't understand why the mirror needs going down when the picture is taken (in the LV tripod mode AF is done through contrast-detection by the AF-ON button). Does anybody understand it?
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1311929642' post='10302']

I assigned the Func button to LV tripod mode so that I can use LV to take landscape with self-timing on. It is simple to turn on LV: just push the Func button then the mirror is up and LV is on. I thought that after focusing, pressing the shutter down will take a picture without motion of the mirror---this would be good since mirror shaking is avoided automatically. But when I take pictures this way I notice that the view finder brightens twice. The second brightening is "normal" since after taking the picture the mirror goes down so that you can review the picture you took on the LCD. But I don't understand the first "brightening" which appears to occur just before (?) the shutter curtain is openned up. I also hear double click sounds when or just before the picture is taken, which seems to indicate that the mirror gets down and up again. If this is true, then I don't understand why the mirror needs going down when the picture is taken (in the LV tripod mode AF is done through contrast-detection by the AF-ON button). Does anybody understand it?

[/quote]

Hmmm.... With my 450D, what you describe is normal, since the 450D has only one motor which controls both the mirror and the shutter. Soo, to get the shutter ready for the image, the mirror has to go down and up again before the image is taken. This is that way for the whole XX0D series and 1X00D series. The 50D/60D/5D/7D/1D series have two separate motors, and they keep the mirror up when taking a photo with live view.

So it really surprised me reading that you have mirror action going on with the Nikon D700!

So, I read up on it, and indeed, you have no live view without mirror slap! I wonder what the reason is for that.

You can use the mirror lock up function during live view, as a workaround. Focus in live view as you normally would, put the camera in mirror lock up mode, press remote shutter button, wait a second or 5 for the mirror slap vibration to die down enough, and press the remote shutter button again to make the exposure.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1311946399' post='10306']

Hmmm.... With my 450D, what you describe is normal, since the 450D has only one motor which controls both the mirror and the shutter. Soo, to get the shutter ready for the image, the mirror has to go down and up again before the image is taken. This is that way for the whole XX0D series and 1X00D series. The 50D/60D/5D/7D/1D series have two separate motors, and they keep the mirror up when taking a photo with live view.

So it really surprised me reading that you have mirror action going on with the Nikon D700!

So, I read up on it, and indeed, you have no live view without mirror slap! I wonder what the reason is for that.

You can use the mirror lock up function during live view, as a workaround. Focus in live view as you normally would, put the camera in mirror lock up mode, press remote shutter button, wait a second or 5 for the mirror slap vibration to die down enough, and press the remote shutter button again to make the exposure.

[/quote]

I just searched the internet and found that other people also talked about this problem. So the mirror slap does exist for D700. It seems that the D700's LV is really bad: it has no live histogram, it does not work with the DOF preview, and it has mirror slap!

However, I found a way to walk around the slap problem at certain level: turn on the "exposure delay" function, then after pressing the shutter, the picture is taken about 1 sec after the mirror slap.

If I set the release mode to mirror lock up then I cannot enter the LV mode by pressing the Fn button. If I want to use both mirror lock up and LV then I have to switch back and forth between them.

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1311949072' post='10309']

I just searched the internet and found that other people also talked about this problem. So the mirror slap does exist for D700. It seems that the D700's LV is really bad: it has no live histogram, it does not work with the DOF preview, and it has mirror slap!

However, I found a way to walk around the slap problem at certain level: turn on the "exposure delay" function, then after pressing the shutter, the picture is taken about 1 sec after the mirror slap.

If I set the release mode to mirror lock up then I cannot enter the LV mode by pressing the Fn button. If I want to use both mirror lock up and LV then I have to switch back and forth between them.

Frank

[/quote]

You can't switch to mirror lock up mode during live view? And if not, do you need live view after framing and focussing?

Another bad thing about the Nikon D700 live view implementation is the lack of exposure simulation (the D3/D3x at least do offer this) which shows what the aperture and exposure time settings will mean for the image exposure.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1311950880' post='10311']

You can't switch to mirror lock up mode during live view? And if not, do you need live view after framing and focussing?

Another bad thing about the Nikon D700 live view implementation is the lack of exposure simulation (the D3/D3x at least do offer this) which shows what the aperture and exposure time settings will mean for the image exposure.

[/quote]

No, I can't switch to mirror lock up mode during live view. If I do so then the live view is turned off automatically. I press the Fn button again then nothing happens. It seems the correct way is that: after framing and focusing with LV, switch to the mirror lock up mode and take the picture.

Yes, the D3 series have a much better LV.